Future survival chicken project?

At the moment, I only have a bunch of laying hens and roosters of various breeds and a few silkies that I've had a few breeding experiments with. I'm really into prepper things and survivalist stuff, but I love chickens too. This made me wonder, what chicken breed would I use if I was in a doomsday situation? I've looked for good dual purpose breeds that are great at foraging, but none of them are up to my standards of thriftyness. So I thought, why not just breed my own! I don't plan on doing this now, but would love to do it in the future. In this "Doomsday Chicken", I'd want a few different traits:
.Good foraging
.Good at evading predators
.lays 140 to 180 eggs per year
.consistently goes broody once or twice a year
.roosters at least 6 pounds at maturity.
.Cold and heat hardy
Breeds I want to use:
.American game ( I've heard they are good at foraging and frequently go broody)
.Rose comb brown leghorn (lays a lot of eggs and are more cold hardy than the single combed leghorns, also camouflaged)
.Buckeyes or partridge chantecler (cold hardy, good foragers and occasionally go broody)

I'll figure out a name for it later.

Tell me what you think!

Consistent survival and population net-growth are your most important traits. Everything else you can get to your goals may have to be icing on the cake.

There was a biologist named I. Lehr Brisbon who developed a breed of wild woods chickens in two steps. First, he released several random and common breeds of bantams into a farmyard along with some junglefowl hybrids and allowed them to breed and live freely for several years. Second, he gathered up the survivors and turned them loose into a Georgia river bottom and left them alone for a few years. Over time, natural selection morphed into small, Old English game bantam-like, black and spangled chickens.

You don’t need a woods chicken, just a barnyard chicken. So you can probably just replicate step one by turning out several breeds of homestead heritage and rustic breeds known to be good free rangers and let them breed at will. The strongest will survive. They may morph into directions you aren’t expecting but so long as you keep their size up and don’t let them become bantams they ought to be useful.

You may find that apart from the pleasure of doing the project, American games are already that practical homestead survival bird. You could cross an American to a big bodied oriental game and maybe get that big size you are looking for. Although there are some Americans that push 6lbs already.

Consistent survival and population net-growth are your most important traits. Everything else you can get to your goals may have to be icing on the cake.

There was a biologist named I. Lehr Brisbon who developed a breed of wild woods chickens in two steps. First, he released several random and common breeds of bantams into a farmyard along with some junglefowl hybrids and allowed them to breed and live freely for several years. Second, he gathered up the survivors and turned them loose into a Georgia river bottom and left them alone for a few years. Over time, natural selection morphed into small, Old English game bantam-like, black and spangled chickens.

You don’t need a woods chicken, just a barnyard chicken. So you can probably just replicate step one by turning out several breeds of homestead heritage and rustic breeds known to be good free rangers and let them breed at will. The strongest will survive. They may morph into directions you aren’t expecting but so long as you keep their size up and don’t let them become bantams they ought to be useful.

You may find that apart from the pleasure of doing the project, American games are already that practical homestead survival bird. You could cross an American to a big bodied oriental game and maybe get that big size you are looking for. Although there are some Americans that push 6lbs already.
This is kind of what I did. I took several heritage breeds , predominantly different colors of Plymouth rock, and a few others thrown in for genetic diversity. I don't baby them, and hatch some out from broodies. They are on about the third generation and have improved on a lot of the traits I'm looking for : foraging, broodies, and predator evasion. This year I am attempting to mix in some American game to help things along. They are completely free range 24/7. I have noticed the hens that seem to do the best are usually on the small side. I also think a good farm dog that is serious about taking care of varmints is vital for this type of setup. I have a catahoula and he's great.

In my experience, whether it's cattle, sheep, or chickens, generally you can get high production /high maintenance, or low production/ low maintenance. It's very hard to get high production/low maintenance in any livestock whether it's meat,milk, or eggs. You can definitely tweak things in your favor to improve production somewhat. I think it's all about finding a balance that works for you, your landscape, and climate.

I want to suggest pheonixes too. I know they're an ornamental breed, but they fit most of your wishes (egg count, I don't know, simply because they're so eager to hide and brood that I can't get a good idea of eggs when they aren't brooding anywhere I can get to). The only downside is they're not the biggest carcass when processed.

I had the same idea... Just started that flock 3 weeks ago. I wanted all the same traits in my birds as you, with emphasis on foraging and predator evasion. After lots of research I chose the following breeds.

1 leghorn
1 speckled sussex
1 Partridge penedesenca
4 Sumatra
1 Egyptian Fayoumis
2 welsummer

Still trying to figure out the new roo.... Think I'm going to go with Sumatra.

Depending on your climate situation, Naked Necks, large comb and wattles (for air circulation) and light feathering are all good characteristics for coping in the heat. Breeds with minimal comb and wattles (which is a key prevention for frost bite), densely feathered with no feathering on legs and feet (which get dirty in muddy situations), will perform best in cold climates.

At the moment, I only have a bunch of laying hens and roosters of various breeds and a few silkies that I've had a few breeding experiments with. I'm really into prepper things and survivalist stuff, but I love chickens too. This made me wonder, what chicken breed would I use if I was in a doomsday situation? I've looked for good dual purpose breeds that are great at foraging, but none of them are up to my standards of thriftyness. So I thought, why not just breed my own! I don't plan on doing this now, but would love to do it in the future. In this "Doomsday Chicken", I'd want a few different traits:
.Good foraging
.Good at evading predators
.lays 140 to 180 eggs per year
.consistently goes broody once or twice a year
.roosters at least 6 pounds at maturity.
.Cold and heat hardy
Breeds I want to use:
.American game ( I've heard they are good at foraging and frequently go broody)
.Rose comb brown leghorn (lays a lot of eggs and are more cold hardy than the single combed leghorns, also camouflaged)
.Buckeyes or partridge chantecler (cold hardy, good foragers and occasionally go broody)

I'll figure out a name for it later.

Tell me what you think!
You may consider crossing old English game bantams to red jungle fowl and then crossing them back to American game I crossed bb red old English game bantam to red jungle fowl and only 2 hatched one died the survivor was a rooster is a good forager he is only going to be about 2lbs both breeds go broody quite often American game fowl are about the size you want and also go broody often

Back
Top Bottom