fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
I was so glad for a local option, but after I ended the phone call I got a little feeling in my stomach realizing that a third of the flock will be gone.

I'm such a softie.

I'm thankful that I don't have to do Freezer Camp. I wasn't looking forward to it.

Red got a name this week since he's second in line for the top spot. I noticed some of his wing feathers are molting in such a way that his wing looks a little like an American flag.

So he's "Sam", or "Samuel" in keeping with the Biblical theme.
IMG_20230606_184418404~2.jpg

Four of the Sussex and two of the Dominiques went to a poultry auction early this morning.

It's quiet out by the coop this afternoon. I'm thinking it's because of one of the following:

1. There's one third less chickens

2. It's hotter today than it has been

3. The chickens are thinking "Oh no! I'd better lay low and be quiet or The Giver of Grapes might notice me and take me away!!!" :eek:

:gig:lau:cool:

Here is "Fleck" (aka "Purple"). He loves to photobomb, will run up to my phone as I try to take a picture.
IMG_20230606_183819695.jpg

He's third roo right now, out of three, so low man on the totem pole. I thought about sending him to the auction yesterday, but he has some really nice feather patterns that meet the standard, so I am keeping him for now.

Since six of his fellows were shipped out yesterday he appears to be feeling his "oats". I was bent over in the run, cleaning out the waterer cups, when Mister Fleck flew up on top of my chair, rustled his feathers, fluffed his hackles, and tried to give me the stink eye.

I casually looked at him, then turned my head away and continued to clean the waterer. I disregarded his display and pretended he wasn't there. I don't think my reaction was what he was expecting, and he hopped off the chair within a few seconds.

Note: I was VERY much aware of how close he was to my face. If he'd tried anything he would be pushing up the daisies.

Back
Top Bottom