fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Only one egg, but it's pretty, speckled!
IMG_20240114_173812858.jpg

It's interesting to watch the changes within a flock, you may see them change again, who knows. Hopefully both can continue to be peaceful within the flock.
The dynamics within the flock are interesting to watch, for sure.

I just feel sorry for Joel. :(

IMG_20240115_074857734~2.jpg

See how Joel hunches himself, makes himself look smaller?

"I'm no threat..."

Last edited:
I know my flock will probably be fine, but starting tonight it's going to get really cold for us, 20°F or below. The hoop coop has a flat roost that is protected from direct drafts and from precipitation, so they can sit on their feet, but we're getting a lot of rain before the cold moves in tonight.

I've read that blocking the sides of the hoop coop will just keep moisture inside, increasing the chance of frostbite, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do for my chickens.
Screenshot_20240116-135108-117.png

Very similar weather pattern and temperature here.

I know my chooks are going to be fine. I have covered up my young citrus trees for their protection.
Thanks. I was concerned when they were tiny and brooded outside, but they were fine. They'll probably be fine in this cold spell as well.

I just want to take the best care of my chick(en)s that I can.

You still want air flow that's for sure, that will help with moisture. Your flock is in good health, young and well fed, they have places get out of the direct wind, so they should be fine.
I do understand the concern, you're not used to it dropping into the 20s so it is cold. I'm more used to it, but it's still cold!

I put up some more wind blocking today, but it's just cold anyway. It's been windy and the temp dropping all day. It's 12F and still dropping. Wind chill is -3 and will continue to drop too.

You still want air flow that's for sure, that will help with moisture. Your flock is in good health, young and well fed, they have places get out of the direct wind, so they should be fine.
I do understand the concern, you're not used to it dropping into the 20s so it is cold. I'm more used to it, but it's still cold!

I put up some more wind blocking today, but it's just cold anyway. It's been windy and the temp dropping all day. It's 12F and still dropping. Wind chill is -3 and will continue to drop too.
Thanks.

I woke up way early, thinking about their water, how it was going to be frozen for most of the day. Running a cord and hooking up a heater for the water wasn't going to be possible, so I got dressed, filled a large dog water dish with faucet-hot water, then placed it in the run next to the waterer. I hope even if it developed a skin of ice they'd peck holes in it.

I'll be back with an update once I get home and assess the situation.
🥶🥶🥶

Back
Top Bottom