fuzzi's Chicken Journal

I'd reapply once the color starts to fade if you want to continue with the I.d.

LOL You can see the blue can't you.
Time to do it again. Not one drop of blue...
IMG_20240311_173733705~2.jpg

:barnie

I wonder if you mixed a little blue coat with a bit of Vaseline or olive oil if it would stay moist longer? Just a thought. 🤔
Something to consider, thanks.

I went out and redid the vents a few minutes ago. There was a little stain just outside Martha's vent.

They're all good and blue now.

Interesting egg day.

There were three eggs in two nesting boxes, and Naomi, a Dominique, was squatting in the third box. I put some grape bits in the flock's "treat" tray and Naomi came running waddling over, her fluffy butt hanging low. I picked her up and a damp egg fell down! It didn't crack, thankfully.

I left the run for a few minutes but when I came back in to clean out their watering tub I heard a crunch, and saw where I had stepped on an egg near the door...but it was a fairy egg!
IMG_20240313_165939515~2.jpg

Both events were firsts for me.
IMG_20240313_171308220~2.jpg

Oh, and the fairy egg didn't have a yolk. I cooked it for the girls, for later.

A lot of fairy eggs don't have yolks, but often you may find something like a meat spot, a blood clot or "debris" in the albumen.

Good idea cooking it for them. My girls (and boys) love eggs. I have quite a few rolling in daily, so it's time to cook up some older eggs soon and let everyone have a nice treat.

I "blued" the Sussex hens last night, again. They still had a blue ring around their vents, but outside the lip.
:rolleyes:

I bought a bale of straw on Friday, but am thinking of storing it elsewhere. Keeping it in the back of the hoop coop worked for a while, but the dampness/humidity of the air (NC) seems to concentrate inside the wheel barrow, causes condensation. And the location is below their nighttime roost, not optimal. Despite a shower curtain liner covering, droppings are getting mixed in with the clean straw.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to do "a little trimming". Uh, yeah. A little.

Before and after:
IMG_20240315_125044162_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240315_144907607_HDR~2.jpg

I could place one of my pallets underneath the lean-to. I think having the straw on top of some sort of wire rack or maybe a spare brooder crate on top of a pallet would provide more air flow and reduce the possibility of pest damage. And then a cover of sorts, like a shower curtain liner or cheap plastic tablecloth.

Just thinking here. :caf

Today my son has agreed to work with me on organizing the big shed. He's got an organizational mind (from his momma? ;)) but mainly, at 6' tall, is providing the reach and muscles I lack in order to do the most effective job.

As far as the straw storage in the coop goes, once I remove the wheelbarrow and straw the path to the roost will be gone, so I think I will move the A-frame roost closer to the main roost. Last night two of the Dominiques were on the A-frame and I was thinking that when I removed part of the straw bale I also removed their stepping stone.

Chicken husbandry is certainly is a process, isn't it?
:pop

Back
Top Bottom