1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FYI Hawks are mirgrating now. Watch over your babies

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Msbear, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I have had no problems with predators then.. it happened. They found me. I lost 3 birds in four days... one right in front of me! I've had a super huge red-tailed with a wingspand matching mine [​IMG] and I woke up to this little guy wanting to play with my birdies early the other morning

[​IMG]

If you hear a ruckus, go outside and cannot find your birds... they are hiding from this guy.

After the first attack, I kept mine up for a few days thinking it had moved on. Within minutes of my rosecombs being out, I heard my cock sound the alarm and they all went bananas. I found them huddled under a bush. I scoured the trees and there it was hunting them!!! I clapped my hands and screamed and it took off.. just to the next tree.

I rounded them up and cooped them up and they've been up every since. May try again in a couple weeks.

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

ACKK! Ours already went over about a month ago but the eagles have moved in! [​IMG]

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Here's what I saw on my fence about 30 mins ago. Mine normally free range but I'm glad I had them up today and will until these guys have moved on. Sigh.
    [​IMG]

4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Please dont tell me that they will migrate I actually had never thought about it). I dont really want a visit.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Hechicken, great pic! I know they are difficult to get.

Keep a look out, folks

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Got the message too late. [​IMG] We had our first hawk attack last Friday night (in 1 1/2 yrs. of having the chickens) It got our favorite banty duck. Why is it always the favorite??? We are keeping a closer eye on them. Had one fly over today. [​IMG]

7. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    My neighbor just called and said a hawk has gotten a dozen or so of his quail in the past 2 days. I'm sure they've gotten some of my OEGBs that are free-ranging, and I've just not noticed. Off to pen up more chickens. I've been having trouble with coyotes, now i guess it'll be hawks. Oh, the joys of chicken-keeping..........

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    They have allready pass threw my place
    [​IMG]

these are the local hawks that got stired up when they came threw, they were circling my chick pen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] Oh my LORD!

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I lost 2 ducks to hawks a few weeks ago. Now the ducks have an aviary. I had to give up my herb garden, but I was able to transplant them without too much trouble.

When I saw that bird silhouette, I thought it was just the crows. NOPE!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by