FYI Hawks are mirgrating now. Watch over your babies

Msbear

Fancy Banties
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Sharpsburg, MD.
I have had no problems with predators then.. it happened. They found me. I lost 3 birds in four days... one right in front of me! I've had a super huge red-tailed with a wingspand matching mine
hmm.png
and I woke up to this little guy wanting to play with my birdies early the other morning

10091_100_5174.jpg

If you hear a ruckus, go outside and cannot find your birds... they are hiding from this guy.

After the first attack, I kept mine up for a few days thinking it had moved on. Within minutes of my rosecombs being out, I heard my cock sound the alarm and they all went bananas. I found them huddled under a bush. I scoured the trees and there it was hunting them!!! I clapped my hands and screamed and it took off.. just to the next tree.

I rounded them up and cooped them up and they've been up every since. May try again in a couple weeks.

Here's what I saw on my fence about 30 mins ago. Mine normally free range but I'm glad I had them up today and will until these guys have moved on. Sigh.
38935_img_3240.jpg

Got the message too late.
sad.png
We had our first hawk attack last Friday night (in 1 1/2 yrs. of having the chickens) It got our favorite banty duck. Why is it always the favorite??? We are keeping a closer eye on them. Had one fly over today.
barnie.gif

My neighbor just called and said a hawk has gotten a dozen or so of his quail in the past 2 days. I'm sure they've gotten some of my OEGBs that are free-ranging, and I've just not noticed. Off to pen up more chickens. I've been having trouble with coyotes, now i guess it'll be hawks. Oh, the joys of chicken-keeping..........

I lost 2 ducks to hawks a few weeks ago. Now the ducks have an aviary. I had to give up my herb garden, but I was able to transplant them without too much trouble.

When I saw that bird silhouette, I thought it was just the crows. NOPE!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom