Gaggle of Chinese Ostracizing a Roman Tufted - Help!

SarahTsu

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 3, 2015
I am new to geese. I recently got a gaggle of 5 from a farm that no longer had room for them. One is a Roman Tufted and the rest are Chinese (1 gander and 3 geese?). I don't know if the Tufted is a goose or a gander. From what I understand they are a year old and all were raised together as goslings. After getting them home - I am noticing the group of 4 Chinese keep away from the Tufted one. Two days ago they attacked and cornered it - the Chinese gander especially. Tufty is very gentle and didn't fight back. I am now housing it separately for it's safety. I am baffled by this behavior. Could it be triggered by the other geese laying eggs? Or do different breeds not like sharing the same space? I am thinking of pairing the Tufted with another one of its breed so it won't be so sad - but don't know to get another Tufted goose or gander? The poor thing has the saddest blue eyes around! It's swimming and eats grass, but not the regular feed of corn and pellets. I love them all, but don't know what to do. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You do have one Chinese gander and 2 Chinese geese and in fact a roman female.
The Chinese gander usually doesn't mind females of other breeds so I think that the Chinese never even seen the roman tuft so they show who is dominant. See after a week if they still pester her if they continue then remove her and get another gander (a Embden gander will scare those Chinese away) but put the roman female and the other gander separated from the Chinese for atleast two months so they bound and become mates for life. And maybe you can have goslings if you want because roman tuft geese are excellent brooders and mothers.
Hope it helped.
Ask questions if you want I would love to answer and keep us bycers updated.

Last edited:
Thank you for the assessment and advice. I tried putting the Roman back with the rest and she seemed eager to join them. She was not welcomed however. On a close inspection it seems that there is also a Pomeranian in the mix. It's the brown and white stockier bird in the background among the four. (She makes cute, cartoon like 'ga ga ga ga' sound). The Chinese gander did not pester her and she kept Roman company when being chased. So on a whim we placed the Roman and the Pomeranian together in a separate coop. They are sharing a separate pool and are calm. There is no more fighting, but the two separated birds keep looking over the fence toward the 3 they were with all this time. Concerned about their lack of appetite - they're not eating regular feed. It being winter, all the more worrisome. Want to follow your advise on getting an Embden gander. I am totally new to this with no experience in mixed breed raising. Wondering if the Roman and Pomeranian geese can be paired with a different breed gander? Or do I need to get a gander of each kind for the respective geese?

Thank you for the assessment and advice. I tried putting the Roman back with the rest and she seemed eager to join them. She was not welcomed however. On a close inspection it seems that there is also a Pomeranian in the mix. It's the brown and white stockier bird in the background among the four. (She makes cute, cartoon like 'ga ga ga ga' sound). The Chinese gander did not pester her and she kept Roman company when being chased. So on a whim we placed the Roman and the Pomeranian together in a separate coop. They are sharing a separate pool and are calm. There is no more fighting, but the two separated birds keep looking over the fence toward the 3 they were with all this time. Concerned about their lack of appetite - they're not eating regular feed. It being winter, all the more worrisome. Want to follow your advise on getting an Embden gander. I am totally new to this with no experience in mixed breed raising. Wondering if the Roman and Pomeranian geese can be paired with a different breed gander? Or do I need to get a gander of each kind for the respective geese?

They will fall head over hills in love with an Embden gander or any other breed of gander. .I have an Embden gander and a Toulouse goose and a Buff goose and thinking a toulouse/buff gander [7 months old] They all love my Embden gander. Just keep your new gander in with you 2 girls till they bond

Last edited:
Yes, all female geese love embden ganders (as odd as it sounds haha)
And there is no fighting because only males fight (females only fight when brooding or have goslings). If treated right embden ganders will be amazing pets and guard dogs and are excellent fathers.
Females geese such as roman tuft,embden, toulouse or American buff usually don't eat as much food unlike the Chinese or African females that eat loads. Domesticated geese can be crossed with any other domesticated geese so you don't have to worry about that.
Once you get your gander he can be paired with both females
1f44c.png

Thank you servpolice, that's great news! Such a relief to know they have different eating habits. I was worried and gave them cucumbers, carrots and greens. Thank you for the insight. Now I am tasked to find an Embden gander that's their age in the local area!

If I could ask about one more thing - I was told they need to clear their sinus throughout the night - so is it wise to leave a bucket of water inside their coop at night? How about leaving a bowl of food incase they are hungry - or will it be susceptible to rodent contamination?

Last edited:
Thank you for the information, Miss Lydia. I will find a suitable Embden gander as soon as I can. I'm glad to know they get along.

Last edited:
That's great news! Such a relief to know they have different eating habits. I was worried and gave them cucumbers, carrots and greens. Thank you for the insight. Now I am tasked to find an Embden gander that's their age in the local area!

If I could ask about one more thing - I was told they need to clear their sinus throughout the night - so is it wise to leave a bucket of water inside their coop at night? How about leaving a bowl of food incase they are hungry - or will it be susceptible to rodent contamination?
I don't keep food or water inside my houses at night water fowl are so messy , just make sure to have food and water available during daylight up until they go in for the night they will be fine till morning. They need buckets deep enough to clear their nares and eyes but not necessary at night as long as no feed is available. unless goslings. And yes feed left out will draw all manner of rodents and preds.

Thank you for the clarification on food and water. Unfortunately this morning little Roman is breathing from her mouth and is making a snorting sound as if her nares are blocked. I keep a 2 gallon bucket filled with clean water near her all the time. Last night it looked murky. Could this be triggered by stress? Should I give her VetRx? She's still not used to me - so afraid to intervene and possibly make things worse for her.

I posted an ad at the local feed store billboard in the hopes of finding a yearling Embden Gander, since the ones sold online are goslings a few days old. The Roman and Pomeranian are in a separate pen, but close enough so they can see the other 3 Chinese. Pomeranian is not too friendly with the Roman. She constantly peers through the fencing wanting to join the others. And they all call to each other. Do I need to block the view with some material or keep them farther apart? Will that make adjustment easier for them? Sigh, wish they could've all gotten along. Sorry for too many questions - I just don't know enough to keep them safe and happy - yet :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification on food and water. Unfortunately this morning little Roman is breathing from her mouth and is making a snorting sound as if her nares are blocked. I keep a 2 gallon bucket filled with clean water near her all the time. Last night it looked murky. Could this be triggered by stress? Should I give her VetRx? She's still not used to me - so afraid to intervene and possibly make things worse for her.

I posted an ad at the local feed store billboard in the hopes of finding a yearling Embden Gander, since the ones sold online are goslings a few days old. The Roman and Pomeranian are in a separate pen, but close enough so they can see the other 3 Chinese. Pomeranian is not too friendly with the Roman. She constantly peers through the fencing wanting to join the others. And they all call to each other. Do I need to block the view with some material or keep them farther apart? Will that make adjustment easier for them? Sigh, wish they could've all gotten along. Sorry for too many questions - I just don't know enough to keep them safe and happy - yet :)
You could put some ACV in her water that way you don't have to catch her and stress her more, hopefully it's nothing serious, So the Roman and Pom don't get along? Put 1-2 Tab of ACV in her water is does have some antibacterial properties to it. Do the Chinese accept the Pom? You may have to catch her and put some VetRX on her nares if she doesn't clear up in a day or so. They all came together for same place?

Back
Top Bottom