gah the schools make me mad! *rant*

shadowpaints

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
so my daughter, KaylaSue is in kindergarten. its half days so we pick her up at 11:15 am.

today i go to get her, and her hand is scraped up, RED and swollen

i ask her what happened and she said she fell off the bus.. why wasnt i called???
i call the school. the secretary tells me that yes kaylasue came into the office crying, about her hand and how she had fallen off the bus.
i ask what they did, did they ice it , clean it ?? what?? she said that they bandaged it (but that it wasnt bleeding) and gave her ice. so if they bandaged it where is the bandge???
i asked if they cleaned it, put neosporin on it. they said no! i am SO mad!

i know that kids fall and i know that they are bound to get hurt. BUT a simple call to me stating"KaylaSue fell and scraped her hand today, she is crying . but it doesnt seem to be broke' would have been nice.. imagine my surprise when i picked her up at school!

she seems to be moving it fine. i have cleaned it and looked at it, now i just hope the swelling goes down soon

am i over reacting??

I would have liked to been called if it were me but I'm not sure if that would be expecting too much. Its not too much to expect though that it be washed up well and some ointment put on it. Honestly with so many kids around I would not want broken skin exposed. Staph, mersa. I think a bit of a talk would be in order. Calm but concerned.

oh we had words. i was perfectly calm with the secratary but apparently she was upset and went to the princaple. i just got off the phone with the princaple, and she apologized for me not being called. and said it wasnt swollen when they sent her back to the class room. and that her teacher was the one that should have been watching the hand.

i told her that i think that i should have been called that falling off the bus isnt something little and i should have been notified. what if it had gotten broke? would i have been called?? what put me off the most, was the surprise of the size of the scrape and the amount of swelling and redness.

*sigh* i know its hard to decide when to call a parent and when not to, but when in doubt call, that should be the rule!

I would be annoyed. I like all breaks in the skin to be cleaned. Thank goodness it was not broken. I have read of kids having broken bones,and no one was contacted. Unfortunately when you put your kids in the care of others they won't always do what you would want them too.

Maybe a note or a talk might help,but for the most part you just have to hope for the best when it comes to the care others provide.

Yea, I think calling isn't a bad idea.It takes a few minutes out of their day to let a parent know something happened and how they responded.It would have given you the option to let it be,or stop by the school and take a look at her.

Personally, I don't think I'd be too upset. Remember your mother saying, "Well you HAVE(!) to know how that happened!"? Yes, kids do get hurt, even at school. To expect the school to call you and every other parent every time a child gets a scratch is, in my opinion unreasonable.

Last edited:
It's always a judgment call. As you said, kids are going to fall and they are going to get scrapes and scratches. It would be ridiculous for a school to call every time that happened. I'm sure each school has its own policies, depending on the severity of the injury. But it comes down to the judgment of the individual making the decision. They don't always decide exactly how you would want them to.

What I would expect is that if first aid can handle it, just do first aid. If it requires or might require medical attention, definitely call. A lot are somewhere in between. For a lot of the first aid type cases, a courtesy call to let you know something had happened but that it was not bad would certainly be nice. I would hope that their records show she is up on her tetanus shots, so they probably thought that did not require medical attention. It probably did not look that bad when it first happened, before it swelled up.

So would I expect a call on something like that? For a kindergarten student, probably yes. For a third grader, not really.

since she only goes to school 1/2 day, no I wouldn't expect a phone call judging from the picture. It's a little scratched, maybe a little puffy, but nothing bad. Honestly, I wouldn't even put Neosporin on scrapes that small. Soap and water and back to class they go. Of course, I hate the habit of over-sanitizing everything and think that "anti-bacterial" is a bad thing. :)

In my case, my daughter had scratches and scrapes, no calls but she did come home with bandaids. Perfectly fine with that! Playing on the playground, she fell off the monkey bars, scraped up her knees and shins, no problem. If she hit her head, well, its the nurse's call to determine whether or not she needs me to come and get her to the doctor or ER if the nurse thinks it is much more criticial.

One incident with my daughter, when she was playing duck and goose game, she ran into the wall, broke her pinky finger....they called us immediately. However they said she isn't in pain or didn't see anything major so it was close to the time of finishing school so we decided to let her finish the end of school day. As soon as hubby brought her home, he said she will be just fine and probably a sprain. Well my mothering instinct said NO, she is NOT fine by the look of her finger which it was swollen. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Later, after surgery and countless visits to orthopedic surgeon, I told my hubby, dont EVER question the mother's instinct when she KNOWS her child is not right in any shape or form. Yeah he is a certified EMT so I question HIS expertise in that department of "instinct". Not only she fractured her finger, she also had a tumor in the bone that had a hollow hole in the marrow....we never knew what caused it or ever fractured it before.

From judging the picture, the school should have called you because it has been swollen and injured while getting off the school bus. Who knows, it could have been broken. If it is a scrape, cut with out any swelling, no, I would not expect the school to call.

From there on, maybe you should get a hold of her teacher, let her know when you WANT to be called if your daughter is hurt every time or a note from the teacher or staff that acknowledge the accident.

I WOULD expect the school to call. ANY injury is YOUR call to treat or not as the parent...

Back
Top Bottom