LadyHawk_2006

Songster
11 Years
May 18, 2008
Warwick, RI
Hi everyone!

I have a penpal in South America who has a chicken that he calls a "gallo-gallina". He only writes me in Spanish, but it sounds like it's a hereditary thing where the rooster has the same plumage as the hens. Is this a breed thing or can it happen in any breed? I tried looking it up online but I couldn't find anything but one picture of one.

Just curious. Thanks!

Stephanie

Catalina

Songster
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
Minnesota
Sebrights have hen feathering. It's a trait of the breed or how they were bred or however you would say that.

Last edited:

LadyHawk_2006

Songster
11 Years
May 18, 2008
Warwick, RI
I asked him about it and he said it's a gene. It's been a long time since high college genetics class for me, but I think I get at least the basics. So, as he put it:

H is the gene for gallo-gallina
h is the gene for normal plumage

HH - gallo-gallina homocigoto (<----don't know that word, maybe homozygus?), always gallo-gallina

Hh - gallo-gallina heterocigoto (<----don't know that word either, maybe heterozygus?), changes to gallo-gallina after the molt

hh - normal plumage

He also said that it was a very old breed that goes back to Roman times.

Anyone else have any other info?

Last edited:

MoodyChicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Northern California
Sounds like that's the Spanish equivalent of hen feathering. Sebrights are fully hen feathered, Campines are partially hen feathered, there's an Oriental breed that's hen feathered, and a few others too. It's a genetic trait, dominant I believe.

Henk69

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
Groesbeek Netherlands
The gene symbol is Hf for Henny feathering

Hf/Hf henny feather shape and color!
Hf/hf+ shape only
hf+/hf+ normal feathers

H is the symbol for the Silky gene
H+/? is normal
h/h is silky