Game Cams: Neat, sure; but necessary? i wonder (update)

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
it would be nice to have one, but i am not a hunter for one thing, and i wonder if, as i said, they aren't a bit more of an unnecessary luxury item than something that one really needs.

i mean, how many people have really had a large no. of tragedies averted by their game cam

rather than just getting some neato pics.

this is what holds me back right now from getting one.

Neat for sure.............
Useful, i believe............
but really that important, or NECESSARY? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

now contradict me!!!
cool.png

Last edited:
I don't think the camera itself averts tragedies, but discovering WHAT you got sniffing around helps determine the best method of preventing a tragedy. Discovering your own dog sneaking into the coop to snack on eggs, for example. Or seeing blue jays fly through the pop door to steal eggs or kill chicks, well, that would require a tactic different from a nightly raccoon raid.

Finding a human thief, too. Now, those nifty photos would be some good proof for the police when you go to file charges.

Just some ideas.

SSSHHHH! Someone hide this thread ... I have my hubby convinced we'll need a game cam when we get the coop(s) set up! Not that it took much persuading ...

We caught our neighbours on camera cutting our fence to ride across our property on multiple occasions!!!

Kept seeing horse tracks of shoed horses(ours are barefooted), set up the cam, fixed the wire fence and bingo, not even 24 hrs later the dear neighbours are on camera clipping the wire from the fence and going thru on their horses..... the whole family too... nice thing to teach their kids(3 - ages 4-10) that trespassing is alright.

In that instance the camera was very helpful.

I have also caught hunters trespassing on our property.

I actually got my camera by way of a trespassing hunter setting it and a bait-station up on our property. Of course I confiscated it and no one ever came to claim it.

Now I like seeing the deer we got and the overall health of them.

I have my game camera situated on a tree next to a natural pathway that most of the animals in our area come by. I do not have it for any sort of protection and only have it to satisfy my curiosity about what kinds of animals are passing by my house at any given time. We have got pics of bears, lots of bobcats, raccoons, possum, fox, deer and some others. For us it is fun to look at and see what has passed by in the night. The path goes right by my coop and run which is fairly predator proof and completeloy surrounded by an electric fence. The game cam is fun and certainly not a necessity in any sense of the word, but it makes me realize that I would not have had many chickens left if my set up was not predator proof.

Useful if people trespass to steal livestock or any other property.Perhaps someone causing criminal damage.
Get their pics on the news to ID them.

Fun for seeing what lurks around the coop/yard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom