gander mating with ducks

KathyR

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Tully, NY
Hi

I had a small flock of ducks which were being harrassed by hawks. I was told to get a gander to protect them. So two years ago I bought an African gander and 6 Welsh Harlequin ducklings, all day old. So Gus (gander) was raised with the babies and them put out with the rest of the flock. Now the problem. I noticed lately a couple of the ducks are limping but didn't know what happened to them. Well, two days ago I saw Gus having his way with two of the ducks, almost drowning one of them. I hate to get rid of him, and think he would be heartbroken being seperated from his girls, together for two years now. I thought of getting a goose for him but really don't want to go there if I can help it. Does anyone have experience with this happening? Any suggestions?

Kathy

even if you buy some geese for him it might be too late to change him. He was raised with ducks and in his mind he probaby thinks he is a duck. So we might not like the geese.

Last edited:
Maybe I should think about finding him a home. I hate to do it. It wouldn't be the same around here without his honking.

Quote:
you can try, its worth a shot. i sure hope he would accept them as a part of his flock. if he accepts them you can move him and his girls or the ducks to a different area. If he ignores them you just have some more geese. JUst make sure when you get them to introduce them slowly , maybe through a fence .

Gus is the first gander I've had. I never thought I would be having these problems. I am going to start looking for a girl for him, or find him a good home with others of his kind. I don't have a lot of choices here. Thanks for your input.

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom