Gape worm symptoms?

chickenmonarchy

Hatching
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Hi, i am new to this forum. I own a wonderful Cobb hen that I rescued after a commercial chicken truck overturned. I have had her 3 months and she began laying eggs 2 weeks ago. She is now big, beautiful and very sweet.

I have treated this poor thing for everything possible and she grew and thrived. I have always noticed that she breathes at night with her beak open and quite heavily. After reading other posts on this great site I think she may have gape worms and I want to treat her immediately.

Can someone tell me what symptoms I should be looking for?

Thank you for all your help.

the poultry site gives this on gape worms
from
Gape - Diseases of Poultry from The Poultry SiteSyngamus trachea, a nematode worm parasite of chickens, turkeys, pheasants, ... Gaping. Dyspnoea. Head shaking. Loss of appetite and condition. ...
www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/65/gape - 48k - Cached - Similar pages

Gape

Extracted From:

A Pocket Guide to
Poultry Health
and
Disease

By Paul McMullin
00a9.png
Click Here to
Order Your Copy
Introduction
Syngamus trachea, a nematode worm parasite of chickens, turkeys, pheasants, and other game and ornamental birds occurring worldwide. Infection is by the oral route with earthworms, slugs and snails acting as transfer hosts but the life cycle may also be direct, by ingestion of embryonated egg or L3. There is an 18-20 day prepatent period. The condition is seen more commonly in poultry on free range where ground may be contaminated by wild birds e.g. from rookeries.

Signs

Gaping.
Dyspnoea.
Head shaking.
Loss of appetite and condition.
Post-mortem lesions

Tracheitis.
Presence of worms, paired parasites up to 2 cm long.
Diagnosis
Signs and lesions, confirmation of presence of the parasite.

Treatment
Flubendazole in feed, levamisole.

Prevention
Flubendazole.

Birds infected with gapeworms show symptons of weakness and emaciation and usually spend most of their time with eyes closed and head drawn against the body. From time to time they throw their heads forward and upward and open the mouth wide to draw in air. An infected bird may give its head a convulsive shake in an attempt to remove the obstruction (worm) from the trachea (windpipe) so that normal breathing may be resumed. Little or no food is taken by birds in advanced stages of infection, and death is usually the end result.

Contaminated soil is the most common way the worm is transmitted---usually by way of the earthworm, slug or snail. Soil may be contaminated for as long as 4.5 yrs. Thiabendazole in the feed.

Info. taken from: Chicken Diseseas (c) 1986

these are vet meds
and can be order from
first vet supply
peter broFirst State Vet Supply - Home of the Chicken Doctor - Online Store...First State · My Account · Cart Contents · Checkout ... Copyright
00a9.png
2008 First State Vet Supply Powered by Shorefast Internet.
www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/ - 28k - Cached - Similar pageswn is a vet

Back
Top Bottom