Gape Worms

alexgr1

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012

I bought a clutch of four pea chicks an lost two of them. After transfering the last two to a bigger enclosure I notice one of them gasping for air. I picked it up and placed small pressure on its chest and could literary hear the garggling noise of the air coming out of the mouth and rear. After letting it go it began shaking its head and some snout came out.
I did some research and everything points to gape worn:
Droopy wings
Gasping air
Black stool with live parasites present
I began a treatment of 1cc of Tylan50, and Bread laced with Ivermectyn 1.84% paste. I will will give them a second treatment of dewormer today an keep them under observation for 72 hrs.
In the mean time I'm collecting all signs of black stool to keep other births from getting infected.

If they were mine I would de-worm all of them with Safeguard orally 5 days in a row. The dose I use is 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds. You might also want to order some Baytril in case the Tylan doesn't work. Baytril is cheap, and if you order it now you should have it in a few days. I'd also start them on Corid.

-kathy

Can you post a picture of the stool with the live parasites?  I know that someone here would really like to see that and I am sure that she will have some more really good information for you.  Make that a really close up picture if you can.

I love poop pictures, and poop pics with worms are even better!

-Kathy

The stool was black. I did try to take some poop pics but the parasites disappeared in seconds. I dough around the stool and they were gone. That was my idea to make a closeup pic and to posted to help oders.
The de-wormer is working because the stool color changed and I haven't seen more diarrhea.
And I did de-wormed everybody.

Last edited:
The stool was black. I did try to take some poop pics but the parasites disappeared in seconds. I dough around the stool and they were gone. That was my idea to make a closeup pic and to posted to help oders.
The de-wormer is working because the stool color changed and I haven't seen more diarrhea.
And I did de-wormed everybody.
How's her breathing?

-Kathy

Thank you for asking Kathy.
Stool color has improved, wing drooping has improved, but the gasping is the same. I pick him up in the mornings an gently squeeze his esophagus to release the air. I can hear congestion and twice this has triggered the release of clear mucus. I'm hopping the antibiotics takes care of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom