Fluid coming from nose, gasping, smelly poop, lethargic, increased water consumption hen

Endocox withdrawal info in case anyone needs: seems these researchers feel that 44 days would bring the residual drug down to a safe concentration, but 70 days will bring it down to 0. Not much research has been done, so I’ll wait the 70 :) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34020367/
Yes, better safe than sorry! And as she is still so young there should not be a problem when she reaches POL.

Update: got the endocox a couple days later and treated for 3.5 days (directions said 3 days, but I began treating the moment we got it in the mail so we did 3.5.) I used a liter bottle and 1/4 tsp of the powder (same measurement according to package directions.) The treatment made her poops smell weird and chemically, but she seems 100% better post treatment! It’s been a couple days after now, and she no longer has bloody poops, and her color looks much better. We’ve been giving her vitamins as well post treatment. The package says to re treat in 2 weeks, so I’m going to try to find the oral dose so she doesn’t have to be brought back in for 3 days. We didn’t give endocox to the other girls because of the dubious egg withdrawal period: online said anywhere from a couple weeks to 70 days. There hasn’t been a lot of research on the medicine in laying hens (oops), but we’ll wait the at least 70 days. I don’t think this new girl will end up laying before then anyway because it’s almost winter. But yay Maude is healthy! Now we’re working on integrating her with the flock :)
IMG_7902.jpeg
I am so happy for you and glad you got the toltrazuril (Endocox) in time. Do you have a gram scale that you can weigh the powder with?

The oral dose I would use is 25 mg/kg.

I am so happy for you and glad you got the toltrazuril (Endocox) in time. Do you have a gran scale that you can weigh the powder with?

The oral dose I would use is 25 mg/kg.
Thank you! I went back and read the package and realized the re treat is actually 6 days, so that’d be in a few days from now on Tuesday. I think I’m just gonna separate her with a see through fence and give her the water dose again since she’s not very integrated yet, she avoids the rest of the flock for now and still sleeps inside our home. But thank you for the oral dose that is absolutely helpful info to have! :)

Update again if anyone is reading this in the future: I think little Maude did have worms. Either that or the flock got them a couple weeks after she was introduced. I found a poop with multiple 2 ish inch long roundworms inside of it. I treated the flock with killverm 25 ml per 700 ml of water as the sole source of drinking water and retreated two times after that at 2 week intervals (I read you should retreat twice to be safe for roundworm.) Today’s the 3rd and last treatment. I never saw any other worms after the first poop, but I could’ve just missed them before or after. The worms explain the poop explosion that happened in their nesting box a week or so prior to finding the worm poop. The worms would also explain why one of our girls was molting so poorly, taking forever to grow back in her feathers. Everyone’s molting well now and seems healthy! And Maude has been fully accepted into her new flock 🥰 we started her out in a fenced off area just looking at the flock, then let the nicest flock member in with her after a couple days, then 2 of the nicest flock members, then let them all out together. We had to put her in bed twice, but after that she’s integrated wonderfully with no visible injuries or any severe bullying happily. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8379.jpeg
    IMG_8379.jpeg
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8664.jpeg
    IMG_8664.jpeg
    669.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom