Gapeworm or respiratory Illness?

Pics

Luckyt21

Songster
Apr 4, 2022
Pine River, Minnesota
Hello again. I have a 8 month old hen Gabby who is not feeling well. She started sneezing & coughing (flemmy sounding) about a month & an half ago. Rattling when breathing. She was also gaping but not currently. She started losing a lot feathers on her belly (pretty bare under there) a couple days ago after Ivermectin pour on treatment 3 drops on back of her neck). She has been pretty quiet when usually a very talkative girl & lays around more perched in her favorite spots over the past 3 days. I have seen her drinking & eating but not sure how much. She has not yet ever laid an egg that I have caught on camera.

I have tried the following things spaced out with no success for the coughing/rattle breathing:

1) Tylosin in everyone’s water for starting Oct 31st because of Gabby’s breathing issue.
2) Lincomycin/septomycin in everyone’s water for 7 days. Finished Nov 23. This was suggested by my non aviary vet because of a different chicken’s problem. Gabby did seem to get better while on this now today she started coughing & rattling again.
3) Ivermectin pour on on everyone for external & internal parasites on Nov 23
4) currently only giving rooster booster vitamin, electrolyte, probiotic in the water.

I can’t figure out what’s wrong with her & what else to try.

Please lmk any other ideas to try.
I have a video of her breathing & coughing but I can’t get it to show up on this post.

P.s. I have been unable to keep her content on while separated from the flock. She goes crazy inside the house in the wire dog kennel I set her up in so I have her out in their minimally heated coop/run with the other 14.

Did you ever notice any eyelid swelling, eye bubbles/foam/gunk, or mucus or drainage from her nostrils or beak? Those would be signs of bacterial respiratory diseases such as MG or coryza. If she is just sneezing and having congestion, it may be a virus that could go away in time. I would be giving her some probiotics now since she has had all of the antibiotics. Probios powder from the feed store is good.

Did you ever notice any eyelid swelling, eye bubbles/foam/gunk, or mucus or drainage from her nostrils or beak? Those would be signs of bacterial respiratory diseases such as MG or coryza. If she is just sneezing and having congestion, it may be a virus that could go away in time. I would be giving her some probiotics now since she has had all of the antibiotics. Probios powder from the feed store is good.
No she has no drainage, crusting or swelling from anywhere. I’ll stick with just the rooster booster vitamins unless anyone can tell me what the top of the line type of pro-bio is.

The thing that worries me most is that she sounds awfully full of mucus in her lungs & throat (like she needs to cough up a huge phlegm ball & spit it out). She also stretches out her neck almost like she is trying to crow. (I have noticed a few others doing this also. Gabby also has had watery diarrhea for a couple weeks now so I’m worried she is getting dehydrated. She is a silver penciled rock & she has always been a smaller girl but it seems she has stopped growing & she has not laid an egg yet…is that normal for 8 months old? She loves to lay on the others eggs in the lowest nest box.

I am going to get them higher protein Nutrena feather fixer feed tomorrow to see if they benefit from more protein. It has been 20-40 degree winter here in MN & I want to help her grow her belly feathers back. Some of the others have been picking on each other & eating feathers off the ground. I gradually switched them to Nutrena feeds back in September from an essential oil layer feed from our local feed store. I’m staring to wonder if the feed is what’s causing my erupting chicken health issues. From the reviews I’ve read it sounds like Nutrena is a good nutritional feed but I feel like I need to get the best out there for them right now - Suggestions are welcome.

???How do I post my video on here so you can hear what Gabby sounds like???

@Wyorp Rock This is my hen we are discussing in the other thread. Hopefully this helps describe her symptoms & doesn’t cause confusion. I truly appreciate all the help you have given me with my flock issues. You have helped me get through some tough times. Hopefully this is the last problem I will have for awhile now!!!

No discharge or crusting from anywhere except poopie feather butt from all the diarrhea. She has bare skin / feather loss on her abdomen that developed in the last 4 days. Abdomen does not feel swollen. Her crop is now water balloonish from drinking a lot & not eating much. I gave her the first oral dose of Tylan 50 tonight (not a fun task). I also have Tylosin powder for water so since she is drinking a lot can I make a drench for her rather than risk her aspirating?
None of the symptoms you mentioned in the other thread apply.

Personally, I'd stick with the Tylan50 given 3 times a day, but if you prefer the soluble, then just mix it according to the directions and offer it free choice. It's dependent on the bird drinking the mixed water.

A crop that is water filled usually is at some point going to turn sour, ime. The antibiotic may exacerbate the issue, but hopefully not.

Looks like she's been given a few different antibiotics, so if the Tylan doesn't make much difference, then it may be reproductive or fungal. Your vet could probably tell more.

I haven’t been able to get her mouth open & look in there to see if there’s any lesions or obstruction. Her crop also seems to be more centered rather than off to the one side. She is a pretty stubborn girl & hates me messing with her beak. Can you tell me how to upload the video I have of her coughing/breathing this may help.

For video, upload to youtube or similar platform, then provide a link.

If she's difficult to get the beak open, gently swaddle her in a towel so her wings are captured, then you'll have more control over her. Pull down on the wattles to get her to open the beak so you can get a look.

Personally, I'd stick with the Tylan50 given 3 times a day, but if you prefer the soluble, then just mix it according to the directions and offer it free choice. It's dependent on the bird drinking the mixed water.

A crop that is water filled usually is at some point going to turn sour, ime. The antibiotic may exacerbate the issue, but hopefully not.

Looks like she's been given a few different antibiotics, so if the Tylan doesn't make much difference, then it may be reproductive or fungal. Your vet could probably tell more.
What can I do now to prevent sour crop?

Back
Top Bottom