Gaping/convulsing chick still alive...

vicalaska

Chirping
Mar 11, 2019
Sorry to start a new thread with the same problem, but hoping to post a video ) have finally figured out how to do it! )
This is the start of the last post:
"I have a Buff Orpington chick almost 9 weeks old. She is one of 3 Buffs and 6 other breeds I got from a hatchery. All are doing well, as was she until yesterday.
She kept gaping, so I brought her inside, searched forum posts with no conclusion. At first she got worse, could barely stand for a while and I thought I was going to lose her.
She occasionally would give a backward shake and a squeak, as if either really uncomfortable or in pain, as if trying to eject something. ( tried to upload video with no luck but will keep trying) Sometimes this was so violent that she would knock herself off her feet. That severity has subsided, but definitely every few minutes she will give a squeak. In the night it was considerably less."

This started a week ago today. Monday I took her to the vet, who very confidently asserted that it was exactly the same as one of her chicks who had been picked up by her dog which had managed to get into the coop. She said hers began to improve after 3-4 days.
I was thrilled - a trauma that she would recover from. She sent me off with pain killers for her. I figured she might have been inadvertently been knocked over by my roosters chasing each other ( no more free ranging since a black bear got three of my lovely older hens - I live in Alaska )
However, she has deteriorated since, though still hanging in there.. Now she is really weak, no longer standing to eat - she last ate voluntarily 2 days ago - I have been hand feeding and watering her.
The vet had no other ideas, but ordered Tylan for possible respiratory problems, which still hasn't arrived. She has ceased the squeaking/crying when she convulses, but will still occasionally convulse and knock herself over.
I feel I am keeping her alive, but want to give her the chance - I was hoping to get the Tylan to see if that helped...
I can't believe she has held on this long.

I will post youtube link ( hope I can do it) The video is from the beginning when she was still jumping out of her box and wandering around the house. Not anymore poor thing.
I will try to post another of her as she is now.

I am sure I am going to lose her but wonder if anyone has an idea of what has happened.

Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ0cN1f2x7Tt3yRUSTT0bg

Here the chick today - just before she had a convulsion/seizure.

H

Sorry - inadvertently deleted the first video - here is the new link:

I swear this little darling has a will to live. I keep expecting her to shuffle off this mortal coil - which will elicit mixed emotions ... I will be devastated as I've tended to her for over a week now, rarely leaving her for more than a short while, but also relief that she isn't suffering.

What's her poop like?
Can you tell if her crop is emptying?
Anything inside her beak or throat?
Any chance you feel an air bubble under the skin somewhere? Under the wings, below the vent, etc.? See the location of air sacs in the photo below.

The poor thing is struggling.
Hard to know if it's respiratory illness, injury or failure to thrive.
I think as it is you are doing all you can for her. Hopefully the meds the vet ordered will arrive soon.
I would try to get some poultry vitamins into her, maybe add those to some wet soupy feed. I'm sure it's hard to get fluids and food into her since she's having such a hard time breathing.
1601179261099.png

Thank goodness - a reply!

I am doing all of the above: try to get some poultry vitamins into her, maybe add those to some wet soupy feed.

The vet did her exam - of course with Covid I couldn't be in there.

Her poop has been hardish - and as of today I haven't found much which is an awful sign. I know she is shutting down, but every morning ( actually every hour ) she amazes me.

Thank you so much for your input. Right now she is still hanging in there, bless her cotton socks.

Sorry that your chick is having such a hard time breathing. I have no other suggestions that @Wyorp Rock has not covered. Gasping is a very bad sign that is seen when one is struggling. A vitamin with electrolyte drop such as Poultry NutriDrench—give a couple of drops up to 1 ml daily might give her a boost. But she may have something seriously wrong with her that all of your TLC may not be able to help. It is so tough to watch a bird to struggle to breathe and not be able to help.

Thank goodness - a reply!

I am doing all of the above: try to get some poultry vitamins into her, maybe add those to some wet soupy feed.

The vet did her exam - of course with Covid I couldn't be in there.

Her poop has been hardish - and as of today I haven't found much which is an awful sign. I know she is shutting down, but every morning ( actually every hour ) she amazes me.

Thank you so much for your input. Right now she is still hanging in there, bless her cotton socks.
:hugs She is sweet isn't she.
Keep us posted on how she's doing. I'm sorry that she's struggling so much.

Poor thing is really struggling to breathe.

She's been breathing like in this video for a week?

Have you had a respiratory disease in your flock before?

The rest of the flock is fine.
She is still alive this morning - she won't let go...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will let you know when the inevitable happens.
Also, seems her left leg and foot are almost paralysed, so neurological problem perhaps?

The rest of the flock is fine.
She is still alive this morning - she won't let go...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will let you know when the inevitable happens.
Also, seems her left leg and foot are almost paralysed, so neurological problem perhaps?
:( Paralysis could be Marek's disease. I'm very sorry.

Are you in the US?
If you lose her, sending the body for testing/diagnostics to your state lab may give you more information if that's something you feel you want to do.
It's quite understandable if you don't.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom