Garden beds raised up off of the ground?

I did raised beds last year (we built them from stacked barn beams). I did love them in that they saved my back big time. With regard to your hens foraging underneath them my only word of caution is that many of my veggies were eaten by the birds before I could get to them! At the time we had 1 rooster and 2 hens who were allowed to free range...and free range they did! We lost the rooster last year. I currently have 10 chicks in a brooder in my house and am building a new coop / yard area for them. This year I would like my veggies to be mine! LOL. The birds will have plenty of space in their yard, and I will not mind letting them out to forage in the pastures, etc. when I'm out with them, but I've lost my last tomato to the girls (other than the ones that I will inevitable give them since I tend to spoil all of my animals)!

I'm thinking they're going to dry out rather quickly and require frequent watering. Frequent watering is going to keep that bottom plywood wet and keep the soil heavy, increasing the possibility of collapse.

I have some traditional raised beds that sit on top the ground and even they dry out much quicker than our other beds in the ground.

I have some small plants on tables right now that are getting started. I plant to section off a part of the yard for my garden (I'm trying a Straw Bale garden this year) because my chickens Free Range as well. I will build a small chicken tractor to let them help with weeding and bugs I think.

I'm just starting a garden for the first time. Our yard floods frequently, so we are building a raised bed. I'd love some input.

So far we've tilled the area. Tomorrow cement blocks are being delivered. My plan is to make a border with the blocks. They are 8" tall, so I think that should keep the water out.

Then I'm going to fill the frame with soil mixed with chicken poo. Then I should be ready to plant.

Am I missing anything? Ideas? Comments?

I'm not sure if it matters or not. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me will chime in. I THINK that maybe it needs to be composted first or it may burn. Not sure, but I know some people say this happens. I'm starting a little compost pile in the chicken run right now.

@sepaditty1 Sounds like you've got it covered. The key to a good garden is the soil. It should be rich and nutritious. And it sounds like yours will be! Good luck with your first garden!

Back
Top Bottom