Garden hoop quail coop?

KenjiQuacker

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Issaquah Washington
Hello! I'm hatching some Coturnix quail chicks and we're trying to plan out a coop design. We want to have a run that goes through our garden, similar to these.
294ED530-F281-4D23-8C60-784E299CE704.jpeg
63791142-D7E0-4ED8-87C3-830E3326D286.jpeg

We have a garden in our yard that has wood around the bottom of each section, which would work to keep predators out, but I was wondering if my coop idea would work. My idea is using several garden hoops and covering them with chicken wire, to look similar to the pictures. Would this work, or would predators be able to rip out the garden hoops? Any other ideas if this one wouldn't work?

@KenjiQuacker if you don’t get replies here, try the Quail sub forum in BYC. Quail keepers roost in that section of BYC so you may have better luck there with responses? I kept quail a while back and my flock was decimated when a rat dug under the cages (which were set on the ground - I didn’t have a wire skirt around it because there was wire on the floor of the cage). The buggers pulled the legs off the quail and amputated them overnight. I had to cull the lot as a result.

Hello! I'm hatching some Coturnix quail chicks and we're trying to plan out a coop design. We want to have a run that goes through our garden, similar to these.
View attachment 2504508View attachment 2504509
We have a garden in our yard that has wood around the bottom of each section, which would work to keep predators out, but I was wondering if my coop idea would work. My idea is using several garden hoops and covering them with chicken wire, to look similar to the pictures. Would this work, or would predators be able to rip out the garden hoops? Any other ideas if this one wouldn't work?
Chicken wire is not strong enough you will need hardware cloth.
What are garden hoops?
What sort of predators do you have?
my quails rip the leaves of plants, so I don’t know how well keeping quail on your veggie patch will work.

@KenjiQuacker if you don’t get replies here, try the Quail sub forum in BYC. Quail keepers roost in that section of BYC so you may have better luck there with responses? I kept quail a while back and my flock was decimated when a rat dug under the cages (which were set on the ground - I didn’t have a wire skirt around it because there was wire on the floor of the cage). The buggers pulled the legs off the quail and amputated them overnight. I had to cull the lot as a result.
Ok thank you, I will!

Chicken wire is not strong enough you will need hardware cloth.
What are garden hoops?
What sort of predators do you have?
my quails rip the leaves of plants, so I don’t know how well keeping quail on your veggie patch will work.
Alright I'll use hardware cloth instead. Also thanks for the information, my mom thought quail would eat the slugs in her garden. If you look up garden hoops online you should be able to find what they look like and how they work. We have coyotes, rats, wolves, foxes, mink, and eagles.

Alright I'll use hardware cloth instead. Also thanks for the information, my mom thought quail would eat the slugs in her garden. If you look up garden hoops online you should be able to find what they look like and how they work. We have coyotes, rats, wolves, foxes, mink, and eagles.
Slugs are too big and slimy for my quails, they pecked one then wiped there beaks on the floor and never tried again.

A couple of my birds enjoy small-sized slugs but most of them don’t like them.

Back
Top Bottom