Mine have tons of acreage too but will gravitate to any open garden beds, or like yours open doorways. Mine are not fenced in and can wander our property as they please. I'm definitely glad mine stay out of where I need them out. Other I don't mind them "weeding" some beds. This past year we tried using rocks around some beds to hopefully keep the mulch in. It was somewhat successful.

Last edited:
Mine have tons of acreage too but will gravitate to any open garden beds, or like yours open doorways. Mine are not fenced in and can wander our property as they please. I'm definitely glad mine stay out of where I need them out. Other I don't mind them "weeding" some beds. This past year we tried using rocks around some beds to hopefully keep the mulch in. It was somewhat successful.

Here you can hopefully see my shabby little fence around this bed. The chickens respect it even though they are around it nearly daily in the warmer months.

View attachment 1635895

Pretty flower bed OHLD!

Pretty flower bed OHLD!
Thanks, it one of many. I am itching to garden again, but it will a few months before it's possible. Seeing the green grass and flowers again gets me excited for spring, but first I unfortunately have to get through winter first. :rant,,,,,,,,:)

Here you can hopefully see my shabby little fence around this bed. The chickens respect it even though they are around it nearly daily in the warmer months.

View attachment 1635895

Some of mine would jump right in there.

morning everyone
started some lettuce yesterday to see if i can get it started down here, i put the seeds in a planter and then put the planter into a little cheap plastic greenhouse( really like the little thing) will see in a few days i hope:fl

Good luck Sharron!

We grew a lot of lettuce when we had our little north FL farm. This is a good time of year to start it, it doesn't like the hotter days of summer.

Hope it does well for you!

Good luck Sharron!

We grew a lot of lettuce when we had our little north FL farm. This is a good time of year to start it, it doesn't like the hotter days of summer.

Hope it does well for you!
me too since we eat alot of salads here and we don't like most lettuces you have to buy in the stores, husband and i like butter lettuce (or i do and husband has to eat it since i make the salads and wilbur prefers romaine) we try not to eat iceberg , also have tomato's started but think i will still have to buy those for quite awhile

me too since we eat alot of salads here and we don't like most lettuces you have to buy in the stores, husband and i like butter lettuce (or i do and husband has to eat it since i make the salads and wilbur prefers romaine) we try not to eat iceberg , also have tomato's started but think i will still have to buy those for quite awhile

What kind of tomatoes are you starting?

What kind of tomatoes are you starting?
i forget, i bought some patio tomatoes off of ebay, i think italian patio's and they threw in a "sugary" tomato, never heard of the sugary so started some of those to see, and ones that i always grow, peach tomato's, i love those have been growing those for about ten years, will start red tomato's and pineapples when we get back to pa since those tend to be leggy

Back
Top Bottom