Our first day of spring is very nice 61 F, . It can stay like this for a while and then warm up..
We had a few of those days, going back to winter tonight. It was "teaser spring".

My potted peach tree has burst into bloom about 2 weeks ago, even though it is usually dark in utility room.
Wow!!!

Anybody top onions?
Never. I have grown huge onions in the past. Starts are the way to go but I have grown huge onions from sets too. The trouble with sets was that most grew into double bulbs and all tried to go to seed.. Growing up I was taught to step the tops over once the plants got to a certain size. It causes the bulbs to keep getting bigger while the top growth slows down.

We never removed dirt from around the bulbs. We used a hoe to draw loose soil up around the bulbs.

I will not be following her directions.

I did some research about onions. the sets are best for green onion eating. the started seedlings that come with green tops are supposed to make better large onions. I have had my best luck with planting seeds. although they are a buggar to weed at first.
i have been busy since Saturday, I am being a nurse and goffer for Annie. She fell and fractured a bone in her knee. On thursday we will find out if they will be putting a screw in it or not.
......jiminwisc.......

Back
Top Bottom