My rhubarb at the back of the garage is about 2" tall. I am glad that it is coming back, the roofers trampled it pretty good a couple of years ago and it wasn't very healthy last year.
Should I mulch around the plants or anything? Maybe put down some compost - then mulch over that?
Mine is slightly taller than that now. about 8 inches, but I'm in somewhat warmer zone than you. I suggest you feed it, compost is good. Mulching keeps ground moist and controls weeds. Wait to do this when plants are slightly taller. Reason; there may be more sprouts coming out of ground , and you don't want to put compost on top that may prevent them from coming thru. JMO.

I had a three foot one made up at the implement dealership. It cost me over $50.oo. this one is almost twice as long...
I would GUESS that the length of hose isn't the costly part. More than likely it is the cost of putting the fittings on the end.

I bought a bunch of these grownomics elevated beds
What are they made of and what do they have on the bottom to keep it from rotting out?

I have one of those hand crankers . I never thought of using it for tomatoes.
I do not skin my tomatoes.
Just wanted to pass this along, since the picture I posted shows doing fresh tomatoes.
When I did the caning way ago, I first cooked the tomatoes. Then I ran them thru the machine. The tomatoes were soft at that point, and crank handle required less horsepower (arm power :gig ) to turn.
The skins, and seeds came out the waste end very squeezed out. No waste:thumbsup

My cranker has holes in the tube, I use it for separating seeds from blackberries. the juice comes through the tiny holes and the seeds come out the end.
after I run my tomatoes through the food processor, I cook the juice and then put it into jars and process them in water.
......jiminwisc.....

If you would not want to build raises beds, You could do trench gardening, Just make beds or rows and amend just the area you intend to plant.
Today I called Hsu's garden center. A yard of garden blend loaded onto my truck would cost $42.oo. That's what they recommended for planting my bare root apple trees.
........jiminwisc......

jvls1942

Glad you checked your computer,, and are back on BYC. 👍 I'm doing fine,,, and family is coming over most weekends. The covid did put a damper on family gatherings,,,,,, but we are all vaxed out,, and boosted,, so almost like back to normal.. I still wear mask when I go to stores,, as well as DW. Its not that much inconvenience to have that extra ounce of safety.

Just wondering how is Oliver doing?? I know you had some serious repairs done to it. Did you get to use it for snow plowing this winter..??

I spent part of this morning recording engine numbers and some specs in my lawn mower manual. so in the future I won't have to look them up on the web
one spec I question is 140 torque on the head bolts on the small rototiller engine. ?
waiting for a big storm to get here. It is supposed to have everything in it. hail, tornadoes, wind and rain.
supposed to hit us in about three hours. It is creeping across the Minn/Wisc border right now.

Back
Top Bottom