My plum trees are all going to 7734 due to black knot fungus. I'm cutting all of them down,, and burning them :old :hit.. Wish I did not have to.
I'm thinking of planting some peach trees. Have to get a variety that will tolerate my zone as well. I know that Northern Indiana,, and Southern Michigan has many peach orchards. (as well as Apple) Same zone weather as what I get. My previous attempts at growing peaches,,, must have failed due to warmer weather variety.. They grew for a few years, produced fruit, once or twice,, and expired. I planted the seed pits from peaches I ate. Those may have been from Georgia. :idunno
Contender and Reliance are about the best cold hardy peaches.

In peach season the peaches available here are from Colorado. I have numerous seeds that sprout in the garden every year. Most die out after the first winter. I have one that is a small bush but looks like it is going to survive its fifth winter.

https://wintercovefarm.com/4-secrets-to-growing-peaches-in-cold-climates/

I harvested several handfuls of Almonds last year.
Russian Almond
Russian_almond_X5165316_05-16-2021-001.jpg

Russian_almond_X6125843_06-12-2021-001.jpg
20210906_093708.jpg

20210906_103012.jpg

Our roller coaster weather can fool even the finest meteorologists. Pecan trees have no chance here:idunno
Hi all, It has been over a year since I have been on the computer.
Kind of a rough year. I think it is all behind me now.
We didn't plant a garden last summer. maybe there will be corn and tomatoes this year.
I planted a large bed of rhubarb that did really well last summer.
I hope to pick enough for at least one pie this year.
I planted a large amount of garlic last fall. It did good last year.
So. what's new with you ?

jvls1942

Glad you checked your computer,, and are back on BYC. 👍 I'm doing fine,,, and family is coming over most weekends. The covid did put a damper on family gatherings,,,,,, but we are all vaxed out,, and boosted,, so almost like back to normal.. I still wear mask when I go to stores,, as well as DW. Its not that much inconvenience to have that extra ounce of safety.

Just wondering how is Oliver doing?? I know you had some serious repairs done to it. Did you get to use it for snow plowing this winter..??

Hi Rich, glad to see you made it through the pandemic. Same here.
Ollie is still at the fixit shop. They picked him up the day before Thanksgiving. I didn't bug them over the holidays. I know they were busy with combines and such. Two weeks ago I called them for a status report.
James acted like they didn't know if they should go ahead and fix it. ?? Suspect a blown head gasket. Lots of water in the crankcase oil. I hope that is all that it is.. I told them I need it for spring plowing.. Now we wait.
I don't know how fast parts will be available. shouldn't take too long for just a head gasket..
Last summer I had nephew Dan help me plant trees. 2 pears, 2 cherry and 3 apples. I found a hot spot for super grapes. In Clintonville, Wisc. Potted in gallon pots and rooted nicely. $12.oo ea. I bought 6 of them.
Dan helped me build a grape arbor. If the last four I planted show signs of growing this spring, we will need another arbor.'
The large rhubarb patch grew very vigorously up until it froze.
this summer will be the second growing season for it. I have enough plants that I figure I can steal a stalk from each one , enough to make at least one pie.
the new asparagus did ok all summer. I imagine it will come up again.
I have to do some major weeding there. and fertilizing, too.
We do not have any birds or animals. Frankie, the dog in my avatar, got so crippled and painful, we had to put her down. She was quite old for a large breed dog.. Maremma...

Hi Rich, glad to see you made it through the pandemic. Same here.
Ollie is still at the fixit shop. They picked him up the day before Thanksgiving. I didn't bug them over the holidays. I know they were busy with combines and such. Two weeks ago I called them for a status report.
James acted like they didn't know if they should go ahead and fix it. ?? Suspect a blown head gasket. Lots of water in the crankcase oil. I hope that is all that it is.. I told them I need it for spring plowing.. Now we wait.
I don't know how fast parts will be available. shouldn't take too long for just a head gasket..
Last summer I had nephew Dan help me plant trees. 2 pears, 2 cherry and 3 apples. I found a hot spot for super grapes. In Clintonville, Wisc. Potted in gallon pots and rooted nicely. $12.oo ea. I bought 6 of them.
Dan helped me build a grape arbor. If the last four I planted show signs of growing this spring, we will need another arbor.'
The large rhubarb patch grew very vigorously up until it froze.
this summer will be the second growing season for it. I have enough plants that I figure I can steal a stalk from each one , enough to make at least one pie.
the new asparagus did ok all summer. I imagine it will come up again.
I have to do some major weeding there. and fertilizing, too.
We do not have any birds or animals. Frankie, the dog in my avatar, got so crippled and painful, we had to put her down. She was quite old for a large breed dog.. Maremma...
Sorry about Frankie.

I wonder why the fixit shop didn't call about Ollie, would think they wouldn't want it taking up space.

Back
Top Bottom