I,ve never had squash before but I will try it now I know how to cook it ! might grow some next year ,just got in from garden finishing winter proofing coop +run also put a small extention on felt guilty for taking part away so lifted some slabs other side we have to keep chickens covered in winter because of bird flu, not many predators like you all seem to have thank god !my garden is slowly getting covered in leaves from tree next door ,I have learned to wait until the tree is bare then clear up all at once just keep pond clear that's a job in itself !bye for now

I,ve never had squash before but I will try it now I know how to cook it ! might grow some next year ,just got in from garden finishing winter proofing coop +run also put a small extention on felt guilty for taking part away so lifted some slabs other side we have to keep chickens covered in winter because of bird flu, not many predators like you all seem to have thank god !my garden is slowly getting covered in leaves from tree next door ,I have learned to wait until the tree is bare then clear up all at once just keep pond clear that's a job in itself !bye for now

Sounds like you've had a busy morning @skwarksy, good idea on waiting for the leaves to all drop before cleaning up!

I always did that at our prior house. Otherwise I'd be out raking every day as the wind kept blowing "new" leaves in from the neighborhood green. At this house there is just the one maple in the yard and all the lilacs. The wind blows all the leaves under the lilacs and the chickens love to scratch around in them.

I always did that at our prior house. Otherwise I'd be out raking every day as the wind kept blowing "new" leaves in from the neighborhood green. At this house there is just the one maple in the yard and all the lilacs. The wind blows all the leaves under the lilacs and the chickens love to scratch around in them.

Sounds like a win for you and the chickens both!

I started here in 1987. At that time there was zero top soil as the "ground" consisted 100% of blow sand. I began then and continue to plant trees, bushes, grass, flowers, etc. When I mow, all clippings are left where they fall. When leaves drop from the trees, they are left where they fall. I now have approximately 1/2" of top soil in the watered areas and as much as 1" of topsoil under certain treed areas.

I started here in 1987. At that time there was zero top soil as the "ground" consisted 100% of blow sand. I began then and continue to plant trees, bushes, grass, flowers, etc. When I mow, all clippings are left where they fall. When leaves drop from the trees, they are left where they fall. I now have approximately 1/2" of top soil in the watered areas and as much as 1" of topsoil under certain treed areas.

:thumbsup

!my garden is slowly getting covered in leaves from tree next door ,I have learned to wait until the tree is bare then clear up all at once just keep pond clear that's a job in itself !bye for now
This is what I do once the leaves fall. Mower on mulch and there is nothing to rake up. I also do bag up some quantity and place as a mulch blanket over my flower beds. In Springtime the blanket provides an easy means for flowers to sprout thru. When I did not shred before loading onto flower beds, my results were less than Ideal. The leaves matted flat and acted as a covering , rather than a nice grow thru medium.
1102141702-00.jpg

Here is another interesting creature on my Dill. There were about 6 or more. Of course I did not remove them . THEY ARE JUST TOOOOO CUTE.:love
IMG_20180930_140827424.jpg

Pretty sure it is a MOTH variety rather than a BUTTERFLY.
I have enough dill so I don't mind sharing.:)

This is what I do once the leaves fall. Mower on mulch and there is nothing to rake up. I also do bag up some quantity and place as a mulch blanket over my flower beds. In Springtime the blanket provides an easy means for flowers to sprout thru. When I did not shred before loading onto flower beds, my results were less than Ideal. The leaves matted flat and acted as a covering , rather than a nice grow thru medium.
View attachment 1554942
Here is another interesting creature on my Dill. There were about 6 or more. Of course I did not remove them . THEY ARE JUST TOOOOO CUTE.:love
View attachment 1554945
Pretty sure it is a MOTH variety rather than a BUTTERFLY.
I have enough dill so I don't mind sharing.:)
had them on my carrot fronds this year, was going to feed them to my chickens til i came over and went on the net and found out the're yellow swallowtail butterflies, took them back out and put them back on the carrot fronds, would rather have butterflies than carrot fronds (the eaten fronds came back)

Back
Top Bottom