hi,just want say I cant wait to get into the garden next year.i,ve been taking painkillers the last 3 years thought they were doing me good (arthritis)turns out they were making me worse! from 6-8 a day I,ve gone down to 1-2 at night hope to get off them turns out they turned to morphine in my body my depression has gone I have never felt so good in years no help from the doctors did it myself sorry to go on a bit but I am looking forward to next year in the garden so much !

:woot good for you! Can't wait to see what you do!

hi,just want say I cant wait to get into the garden next year.i,ve been taking painkillers the last 3 years thought they were doing me good (arthritis)turns out they were making me worse! from 6-8 a day I,ve gone down to 1-2 at night hope to get off them turns out they turned to morphine in my body my depression has gone I have never felt so good in years no help from the doctors did it myself sorry to go on a bit but I am looking forward to next year in the garden so much !
I'm excited too. I have used pain killers after my surgeries and I'm always surprised how quickly they hijack my moods. They are horrible things that can cause tremendous depression when stopped and happy feelings when taken. I'm glad you are getting off them. I always have to slowly cut mine down in order not to have problems stopping them. I use ibuprofen for pain, for the most part it controls it for me but everyone is different.

weather bad today so I,m going to sit at the window and plan in my head what I want to do in the garden next year .going to grow veg for the first time in a few years need to think hard what I want .might try new veg as well as what I used to grow ,so looking forward to it ! virtually pain free ,love it .

Winter is the perfect time to do some garden planning! That's great news on being pain free...that will make gardening and everything else much easier :)

Wasn't sure where to post this. This seemed the most appropriate place.
We always have a real Christmas Tree. No plastic facsimiles for me.:old Always kept water in the bowl, and as you guessed it, eventually the needles would start to fall.
Tried all types of potions, from sugar to aspirin to oil. Nothing gave significant improvement.
Then last year and this year, we watered with MIRACLE GROW. Works amazingly great.
It is January 4 today and needles are not falling off.:thumbsup
Just wanted to pass this along to others of success we stumbled upon.

Who here knows about comfrey?

I'm more of an "organic/better than organic" type gardener. I have been reading conflicting information on comfrey. Some say it's the greatest thing in the world, high protein, feed to your chickens and livestock. Others say it's poison - don't feed - can cause liver damage.

This info feels a bit schizophrenic
fainting-smiley-emoticon.gif

Anyone here grow and / or feed comfrey?

:caf

Sorry, I don't have any first hand knowledge, but do find it odd that it's not in either of the nutrition books I have. Not mentioned as good or in the toxin section. Just not mentioned at all.

WebMD says the issue is: "...poisonous chemicals called pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs), the leaf, root, and root-like stem (rhizome) are used to make medicine. The amount of PAs found in comfrey changes according to the time of harvesting and the age of the plant. The roots have 10 times higher amounts of PAs than the leaves."

There are pro's and cons to all potential feed ingredients it runs into proportions, etc. There's a huge group on the web who advocate it as feed. It may be good, but given that the nutritionists I trust don't mention it at all suggests they simply have not seen enough science to address it. Total avoidance of something so popular would lead me to steer clear. Two things that make those guys really nervous are: Health of bird and Health of us when eating bird products.

I did find a reference in a google book that might shed more light (page 376, chapter 18). Not only is there a suggestion that only particular cultivars should be grown, but not to feed to livestock. Best of luck with your research.

Back
Top Bottom