well bruce, you were right .
Annie cannot put any weight on that knee for 3 months. after that , if it is not healed, they want to put in a new knee.
There goes her hopes of gardening for this summer.
I will plant everything. but if I can't keep up, it will just have to go to weeds.
jiminwisc.....

good morning, it has been a while since I was on the computer. Have to learn how to type all over again.
I have been nursing Annie . She kept me pretty busy. Finally she is past the initial severe pain . Dr said the pain would let up after about two weeks. . He said that she might luck out and not have to have a new knee put it.. That would be great.. She starts PT next week.
we got our second covid shots a week ago. that is over. kind of a relief .
the weather has been warm above 50F .I am expecting to see the garlic and rhubarb to peek out . I have not walked down to check them yet.
rain almost every day.
I need to dig four holes for apple and cherry trees that should arrive soon. but it is too wet where I want to put them. It drains very well otherwise, though.
.............jiminwisc......

My rhubarb at the back of the garage is about 2" tall. I am glad that it is coming back, the roofers trampled it pretty good a couple of years ago and it wasn't very healthy last year.
Should I mulch around the plants or anything? Maybe put down some compost - then mulch over that?

My rhubarb at the back of the garage is about 2" tall. I am glad that it is coming back, the roofers trampled it pretty good a couple of years ago and it wasn't very healthy last year.
Should I mulch around the plants or anything? Maybe put down some compost - then mulch over that?
Mine is slightly taller than that now. about 8 inches, but I'm in somewhat warmer zone than you. I suggest you feed it, compost is good. Mulching keeps ground moist and controls weeds. Wait to do this when plants are slightly taller. Reason; there may be more sprouts coming out of ground , and you don't want to put compost on top that may prevent them from coming thru. JMO.

How deep are rhubarb plants? Do they prefer full sun or shade?
There is a rhubarb plant growing along the north side of the house that is not doing very well. It was there when we bought the place. I am thinking of moving it to a better location and wonder how deep do the roots go?

How deep are rhubarb plants? Do they prefer full sun or shade?
There is a rhubarb plant growing along the north side of the house that is not doing very well. It was there when we bought the place. I am thinking of moving it to a better location and wonder how deep do the roots go?
They can go really deep and really wide but if you can get the ones that are a foot deep and 3' diameter, it should do well. Of course you have the option of separating it and only moving part of it.

Mine love being in full sunshine but I have seen some growing well in partial shade or in lawns.

Rhubarb likes full sun. They are very forgiving when transplanting. Treat them like strawberries, co not cover the crown. Plant them only as deep as they were when you dug them up. Naturally , the more root you get the better, but you can get by with just a few roots. Especially when dividing a plant.
the ones we planted last fall are very heavily mulched with straw. If they are going to grow, they will push up through that heavy mulch..
After they are established, I spread manure on the bed.. I like to do that in the fall when they go dormant.
.......jiminwisc........

good morning,
I have a few spare minutes to play on the computer.
Friday, I took Ollie for a ride. We graded the driveway pretty well. on the last pass I blew a hydraulic hose. I might be able to splice it.
nothing is growing here yet. just some tiny blue flowers. probably some sort of weed?
.......jiminwisc......

Back
Top Bottom