Yeah, Johnny Appleseed did it wrong, but after time it was OK
today I put several apple shoots into dirt for rooting.
I have my eye on a very old tree on my parent's homestead. I am 80 yrs, the tree was there long before I was born. It is in bad shape.

Yeah, Johnny Appleseed did it wrong, but after time it was OK
today I put several apple shoots into dirt for rooting.
I have my eye on a very old tree on my parent's homestead. I am 80 yrs, the tree was there long before I was born. It is in bad shape.
The Jonny apple seed apples were used a lot for apple cider

We must have a couple of Johnny Appleseed trees then. We have no clue what kind of apple they are. The apples ripen at the beginning of August and are best when slightly under-ripe if I want to use them for dried apple slices. They make terrible pie but really good apple sauce. They cook down completely to mush. When completely ripe, the apples are soft and really juicy. A friend of ours took a bunch of apples last year and made apple cider out of them - it was amazing!

got lots of yard work done on Sat Sun and Mon. today, not so much.
Mon we trimmed lilac bush, a few branches off of the black walnut and mulberry trees.
Mowing a little lawn at a time. Taught Annie how to run the mower.
She caught on pretty quickly. Frees me up to whack away with the chain saw or plant in some pots.
tomorrow I will plant a dozen grape seeds that I kept in the refrigerator over winter.
I have apple, elderberry and plum cuttings in dirt in mini greenhouses
I have one more variety of apple to do
I have a large branch to remove from a black walnut tree. It is scragly and hangs too low for mowing under.

Gold Nugget
20220517_164715.jpg

Back
Top Bottom