That is certainly an "off label" use for it! Not sure how you get the foam to uniformly spread through the tube.

I assume you tried something like "Slime" but it didn't work?
I tried Slime once and was not impressed. the problem with this tire is that I cannot get it off the rim. It has a split rim with a dozen bolts . long story short, I gave up on that idea.
to properly inject the foam into the tire, you have to drill four to six holes in the sidewall. then inject some foam into each hole. At this point, I did not want to completely destroy that tire. It has a tube in it.
I figured I would try the valve stem route. after a day, the results were negative. the tire is still soft.
I will run it as is. maybe later on I will work on it again. but now I have too many things to get done before winter.

Might it not be easier to just buy a new tire on a new rim? I've never seen a split rim, had to look that up.

Even after seeing the pictures I don't understand how you get the split ring on the rim after you put the tire on it though it might be easier than trying to force the tire bead over the rim on a regular rim without a machine. I had a heck of a time doing that with a new front tire on my garden tractor.

Might it not be easier to just buy a new tire on a new rim? I've never seen a split rim, had to look that up.

Even after seeing the pictures I don't understand how you get the split ring on the rim after you put the tire on it though it might be easier than trying to force the tire bead over the rim on a regular rim without a machine. I had a heck of a time doing that with a new front tire on my garden tractor.
I saw similar tires for about eighty dollars.
this rim is two halves bolted together. six bolts. then there is a hub that is bolted through both halves that has to come off. another six bolts. then you just slip the tire onto the rim and add the other half and bolt everything together.
If you ever worked with a sheave with removable hubs, this is similar.
It is listed as a caster rather than a tire.

Sounds easy to get a new tire on or a new tube in a good tire ... if one can get it apart. Is it just too rusted to break the bolts free? Or maybe someone used red Loctite on them?
Yes the bolts are rusted. and metric,
I don't have a metric socket that size for my impact wrench.
If I really wanted it apart, I could cut the bolts off and use new ones to put it back together.

You know, they do sell metric sockets ;) I have some in 3/8" and 1/2" drive. You can buy just a single one in the size you want, no need to buy an entire set.
Yah, I do know that, that's how I have accumulated hundreds of sockets.
I have the correct size, but not one for the impact wrench. I have sockets for machinery that I don't even have anymore.

looks like a nice day shaping up.
Yesterday I picked enough rhubarb to make a pie.
then I cut 65 garlic skapes and made three ice cube trays of pesto. It is in the freezer. I never made pesto before.
I have not driven my tractor since I got it back on Wednesday. It rained half of Thursday. I have a couple of brush piles to haul back to the burn pile. and a couple pine logs to drag to somewhere off of the lawn. We cut down a large dead pine tree last fall. I want to have some boards cut.

Back
Top Bottom