Gardening in the Mid Atlantic

Niss

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
I am hoping someone with more experiance can recommend a book on gardening toward self sufficancy with guidlines that fit my region of the country and climate.

I live in cental western Pa. I am trying to move to a more self suficant lifestyle. That lead me to my flock of chickens. It is also the motivation to grow more food. This was our first year with a real garden, and it's gone better than expected, but not as well as I would like. We have an acre of rocky and well drained land. Next year we will have a larger garden as well as putting in winter wheat and buckwheat or field peas for the chickens on a neglected field we've usurped.

I like plants, but I do not have a green thumb. I have always had a few house plants and flowers. However, I am a beginner and will not be insulted by basic information.

Books such as The Encyclopedia of CountryLiving , Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre , and The Backyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre! apeal to me, but I want to spend my money on something with substance and information that is acurate in my climatic zone.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom