Gardening Question?????

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
I have hard clay here where I live. It isn't difficult to work up when it's relatively dry, but when it's wet? Doesn't work so well. I've been adding compost and manure on a yearly basis but I don't think I am getting ahead of the curve
sad.png

My question is this...... Would I be better off ordering 15 yards of compost every other year, or is there a way to work with this stuff? I've spent the last 8 years trying to amend this quagmire and don't feel like I am getting very far. It is a little annoying to have to bring in a dump truck this often but...............

Quote:
Rats. See, I'm jealous. My father has sandy soil and lives off the Millpond in Linden... he uses lakewater to water his plants daily... and he's already picking!!!!!!!!! all I got are peas and beans
sad.png
My garden went in 3 weeks before his also... :cry

I would dig out a huge area and fill it in with compost and topsoil. There really is no hope with clay.. it always forms that crust on the top and then doesn't absorb water, etc. I built raised beds b/c of that exact problem.

along with the compost you should add sand to the soil as well. clay has a drainage issue.

I wish you lived closer. I have tons (literally) of depleted mushroom dirt here.

I also have clay. I also do the dumptruck loads. Some areas I compost heavily and also will grow a crop (I don't harvest) and cut it down and just lay it on the dirt, pile compost over it and then let it lie fallow for a season. Usually the next season I can grow something decent.

Depending on the quality of your clay you may be able to sell it to local artists. I do.

I honestly don't know if there is a way to make the clay work well for a garden. It is typically too dense too allow for good root growth. I don't have any personal experience with clay, as I've only had to deal with sandy and rocky soils, but from what I've read it's trouble.

Personally, I would truck in the compost and build raised beds. That way you can control your soil. Although our soil is decent, we did raised beds just so we didn't have to pull up the sod. Last fall, we layered dry leaves, hay and compost on top of the grass where we wanted our beds to be. Everything is growing great this year!

say boyd! dont forget the gardening site!

but to your questions... geez i have the same stuff. red hard clay but tons of worms.

i tilled in lime and have been pouring on the poop of all kinds. my best find was a guy cleaning his stables and i got literally tons of it for free. last year was bad (didnt do too much amending ) this year is better - next year we'll be in business.

here is the thing i would caution - i bought several tons of ( 3 way) topsoil and it sucked too. so not the big fix i was hoping for.

can you get mushroom compost where you are?

in the meantime get those chicken butts in gear and start spreading the litter! yes now! dont wait! put it next to - not mixed in with or on top of - your plants. it will help but just keep pouring it on.

and i got a great tip on using the dirty water from the ducks kiddie pool! i've been pouring it on and it really works!!

good luck and pm me with Q's - i think we are in this together!

wow, great ideas all around!!!! I am just so frustrated. I'm about ready to start dragging the muck out of the pond across the street to add to my garden

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom