Gardens, anyone? What are you growing this year?

We buy all of our plants from my hubby's family that owns a large greenhouse. Usually our seeds come from a local farm store unless someone passes some seeds on to us.

I just got a new Pressure Cooker for Mother's Day and I am ready for the garden to make...Trouble is here in Central Texas we are already hitting 100. The brocolli (is that spelled right) is wanting water everyday but the peppers, zucchini, eggplant and corn all look good.

I am having trouble with my tomatoes this year. I'll going to keep at it. The soil here in the Hill County of Texas is mostly limestone...that is what soil we have. We have brought in several loads of soil just to make the garden.

Chicken love the grass, worms and clippings from the garden don't they!

Oh...I do hope Tanner is doing okay. My sister had two bones in her back crushed when she was 16. It also happened in a car accident. She is 46 now and doing fine. She has steal rods on both sides of her back bone. She also had a broken should, broken pelvis multi-cracked ribs and tons of scrapes. The shoulder is the only thing that has ever given her any trouble. But, we all know when it's going to rain!

Cheers to all,
Liza

Liza you don't have to wait for the garden, go to the grocery store and buy some frozen veggies and mix them together and can you some mixed veggies. Most of the frozen veggies are sodium free. I done theis and they taste great. Also buy meat when its on sale and when you have enough, can it. I can all year round.

I am just holding out so that I can say, "Hey look...I grew this and canned it!"
lol.png

I have a very large freezer and when meat is on sale I load up. We also had a friend that killed some pigs. I have LOTS of pork in there now. Know any good Pork receipes....?

I'm very sorry about your aunt but I do hope your family will find memories that they can share with each other keeping her memory alive. May the lord bess her and welcome her into his arms.

Thanks for the information about the frozen vegs. If prices don't stop rising I might have to buy at todays prices for the future. We have been talking about expanding the garden already! What a world!!!

Cheers,
Liza

My 1st time with a garden. Have planted so far:
Cukes, 3 varieties of tomato, acorn squash, pumpkin

still 4 beds to go (hope to get them going this weekend) w/rhubarb, cilantro, sage, other herbs, beans, maybe some kind of peas...

do not need to plant:
raspberries, blackberries (they are all over, and quite prickly)

-T

I do CSA gardening for me, my family and 9 other families, so it might be easier to say what I'm NOT growing this year
smile.png

I am REALLY happy with my Bloomsdale longstanding spinach, as it endured a really long and tough WI winter and came back this spring super lush!

I also have good luck with 5-foot-wide garden beds. It reduces compaction between rows and give you a lot more veggies for the space!

I will be growing sweet potatoes this year for the first time--any suggestions out there?

Good luck to you all! Is there anything as satisfying as providing your own food?!? Especially with food prices skyrocketing...

I just got finished putting in the started plants I bought. Total so far is: 3 tomato plants, 2 bell pepper plants, one cucumber plant, two dill plants, one rosemary plant, and one medusa pepper plant.

I still have zucchini and lettuce seeds to plant but the heat got to me and I had to come in to rest a bit before getting back out after it.

Planting the tomatoes really brought back some memories of my grandfather. He was the man that always said "I'm only planting 20 plants this year!" and 80 plants later he would usually just laugh and shrug. I miss him so much that even though I don't eat raw tomato I had to plant some this year.

Well, this is our first year at chickens and gardening!

We have planted 2 types of sweet corn, carrots, cucumbers, brocolli, jalepenos, pumpkins (small sugar and jack o lantern), watermelon, lavender, catnip, and parsley. And we planted geraniums and marigolds to ward of the bugs
hmm.png
...we'll see!

Back
Top Bottom