Garlic Powder

But it looks like she's has her veterinary degree.
Kelly is not a vet.

She may have recently brought a vet to write stuff on her website but she is definitely not a vet.
There are more real live vets here on BYC than there are associated with that website.

I see... that person is recent/ newly added.
That's fair. However, that site does give sources for its information such as research that has been done on the topic(s) and there are many studies cited on garlic use in Poultry. That's why I wondered if perhaps there's a distinction between "birds" and Poultry. It seems as though your article's author is referring to pet birds and maybe they have a different constitution than chickens...

Anyone know the dose and how often to give garlic powder for overall chicken health?

Here is an article that cites many studies on feeding garlic to chickens, with brief mentions of what each one found:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8362672/
If the link doesn't work, you might be able to find it by the title and authors:
"The nutritional applications of garlic (Allium sativum) as natural feed additives in animals"
With authors Jiashun Chen, Fang Wang, Yexin Yin, and Xiaokang Ma
It was published in 2021

There is one section about broiler chickens, and another about laying hens, along with sections about some other kinds of livestock.

Regarding chickens, it looks to me like some research shows beneficial effects, while some showed no effects. The "effects" were mostly about making broilers grow faster and hens lay larger eggs, although some other points show up as well. It looks like none of them were interested in having the chickens live longer healthy lives (which doesn't matter much to the commercial chicken industry, but could be important to people with pet chickens.)

The amount of garlic is listed for many of those studies (usually as a percent of the feed.)

For long-term health, I cannot find any research either way. For shorter-term effects, some of the research I can find is disagreeing with you (see above, there's a paper that summarizes quite a bit of previous research.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom