RainForestBird

Songster
Jul 12, 2016
I want to clear up this controversy because it makes me so mad every time I hear or read about garlic and onions being toxic to dogs. I have fed my Great Pyrenees minced garlic mixed with olive oil for months, if not years to repel fleas and ticks which were very common in Northern California where I lived, especially in the grassy, oak covered hills. I was concerned and shocked to read somewhere online that garlic was toxic to dogs, so I stopped using it and switched to an oral flea and tick medication that cost me about $90 for a three month supply at the vet, many, many times more than my home made remedy.

When my dog developed arthritis, I saw a naturopathic vet because I was unsatisfied with the results of the treatments offered by my conventional vet. The naturopath (who is also a licensed veterinarian) told me about the out and out lies about garlic toxicity that were spread by the pharmaceutical industry and even the veterinary medical profession in order to make more money by selling flea and tick medications that actually shorten a dog's life.

Why would a company that sells a supplement (garlic flavored brewer's yeast tablets) for dogs that actually has garlic in it still be in business?

I know that you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but I believed because the lies were so prevalent that this information about garlic toxicity was correct. Here is an article about the subject, and I realize it is published on the internet, but it really makes sense.

https://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/garlic-for-dogs.html

What would a site have to gain by recommending a remedy that is so inexpensive and easily obtained at your local supermarket or farmer's market? The support of the garlic industry? Maybe, but I don't think so.

Also, I can remember onions listed as an ingredient in dog food for years, back in the 70's and early 80's. But all of a sudden it disappeared. I use onions in the food I prepare for myself and my dogs all the time, at least five times a week, and my dogs (knock on wood) have been perfectly healthy, except for an occasional minor injury, or arthritis that everybody develops with age. In fact, onions and garlic boost the immune system.

I know that oral flea and medications seem perfectly safe and why wouldn't a product that is recommended by your vet, but think for a minute what your vet and the pharmaceutical industry has to gain by recommending this expensive medication over a home remedy like garlic.

When I read on a site that garlic and onions were toxic for chickens, I thought, this is going too far. My chickens may not always eat the onions I leave for them because of the strong taste, but none of them have become sick or died because of eating them. I give them garlic infused grains that I cook in my rice cooker, and none of them have developed any problems because of it. In fact they love to eat my green onions, chives and garlic shoots as soon as they start growing in the spring. I even crush the garlic flavored brewer's yeast tablets and mix it with my chick starter. I just read on a chicken site about garlic and onions causing Heinz or hemolytic anemia, the same exaggeration that is explained in the article. Farmers have been giving chickens garlic for generations to repel mites and lice. People read something on the internet, and suddenly they're an expert, spreading useless and untrue information.

There are a lot of myths out there! Garlic is a real treat for our chickens. I don't offer it nearly enough. They can also eat citrus but too much will make your eggs taste funny - it isn't poisonous.

Our dog is raw fed and you should hear the myths perpetuated by the cat/dog food industries, and vets because they are making such a profit from it!

It's the same scare mongering myth that your backyard chickens will give you salmonella. And that chicks in eggs will drown if your lockdown humidity is too high. Or that DE is effective against mites (first hand experience - I KNOW it ain't)!

:barnie I feel your frustration!

Let's just say with all the fake news, you might as well put yourself in a padded room,& call it a day :th.People, animals survived back then, & will survive again. It's just that over time technology has taken over, & certain folk have become delicate. ;)See what I m saying...no technology back then, & our skin was tough (back bone) animals didn't have all these fancy foods, they ate what the owner gave them.Well said my piece :frow

I don't remember the exact date, but at some point back in the 1980's, my husband and I rushed our 15 lb. mixed breed to the vet after she collapsed and quit eating. Other than being extremely anemic, the vet could find nothing wrong with her (and believe me, they ran a bunch of tests!), and gave her a transfusion from the office-pet Doberman. She recovered, her blood cell levels returned to normal, and she never had another episode. We hadn't heard about onions and dogs before, and my husband had previously shared some leftover roast (and a lot of onions!) with the dogs. Coincidence? We don't think so. Hemolytic anemia is a real thing, and unless it progresses to the point of being life-threatening (as it was for our dog), you might never know it was happening.

Last edited:
My chocolate lab got into a bag of onions...and a basket of potatoes I had stored. The goof ate about 1/2 dozen onions and a dozen or more of the potatoes. Other than squirting crap all over the yard for a few days, he was fine.

onions and garlic are more a cumulative effect with some dogs being susceptible to much smaller amounts than others.
Anemia is the problem from eating them and isn't something you would ever know unless your dog has an extreme reaction or you regularly run blood tests "just because"

It's like most dogs won't have a reaction if they eat milk chocolate on a regular basis. That doesn't mean that it's not toxic to dogs. Just that most instances aren't an amount that will cause a noticeable reaction

the problem is that, while a small amount of garlic can have benefits, most people go the "if a little is good, a lot will be better" Also, as I said, if given long term anemia can develop.
That is why the holistic vets I've heard of that recommend it also order regular blood tests to be on the safe side

Ive never heard of garlic but onions yes. Not like my dogs eat them anyway. But garlic i believe has the samw effect as it does for chickens. But definitely not toxic. And i give garlic for a home remedie to my chickens every couole days.

A little bit consumed by a large dog may not show much effect. But it would show more with a little dog due to body weight.

I’ve also seen several dogs sick from garlic home remedies for flea control. They don’t really work from what I’ve seen and neither do most vet meds. Although Capstar works great :D Also dawn dish soap baths work but may have to repeat.

Extra fact: did you know your dogs and cats can get tapeworm from fleas? Cover all bases when you find fleas;)

Back
Top Bottom