Gasping Chick

TicketyBoo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Saw another similar post so I copy and pasted.

What type of bird, age, weight

Columbian Wyandotte, 2.5 wks slightly feathered

What is the behavior, exactly

In the corner by itself, puffed up, gasping for air. No sneezing or any other signs, just looking tired and gasping.

How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Only noticed this one this morning so I think a couple hours

Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other signs of trauma

No

What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation

We don't know of anything seemed to be eating and drinking as all the others

What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all

Chick starter Crumbles, 21% raw protein, fresh water

How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? runny? etc

Normal

What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Nothing as of yet

What is your intent as far as treatment?

Looking for advice here to treat ourselves if possible

Describe the housing/bedding in use

Large brooder, pine shavings, heat lamp natural light from window no drafts

These chicks had a VERY rough trip from the hatchery but the ones that survived were doing really well until now. I'd hate to lose any now that they seemed to be on the right track!

Is the brooder clean could it be gases from the poop? Could it be too hot? could it be respiratory problem? Two cold from shopping? Something it should not have ate?

Listen to it's lungs right under it's wings, do you hear any wheezing or crackles? It could be a respiratory infection if you do, if not it could be stressed. Give a few drops of a liquid vitamin at the end of it's beak, see if it perks up......

If the chick is slightly feathered at 2.5 weeks it sounds like failure to thrive, some chicks just wither away, gasping for air is common on a dying being.

I had one chick die like that on my first batch and I immediately went out and bought the generic antibiotics from the Tractor Supply ...very cheap..$5 I think for the little yellow bag with the powdered antibiotics. Anyway, I gave them about one once in their water (reg. size chick waterer) for two weeks and never lost anymore chicks. My step Mom says that she always treats her hatchery chicks as a pre-cautionary measure because they are exposed to so much. I just raised my second batch of hatchery chicks and this time no issues at all and I didn't treat them. Just a suggestion...it's normal to loose one or two b/c of all of the stress involved in hatching/processing/shipping/ new home/no Mama Hen for comfort/ not to mention temps/ etc.... But you wouldn't want it to be a resp. infection and get passed onto your others and then end up loosing all of them! Just my 2cents

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom