Gauge and layering of wire for run in WNC?

Jul 28, 2018
I'm about to build a run for my bantams. I keep reading horror stories, so have researched a lot about predator proofing. Where I live it is forested and there are hawks, weasels, minks, racoons, possums, bobcats, neighboring loose dogs, coyotes, and occasional bear. I have never seen a bear near my property, but who knows. I have seen a bobcat, raccoons, coyotes, possums, etc.
I was thinking of doing 19 gauge 1/2" hardware cloth, covered with a larger gauge wire over that, but not sure what gauge and what dimension holes should be for larger wire. The run will be used during day, but I worry about being out for the day and running late and getting back after dusk or something. The coop is secure, I'm just worried about making the run right. Now I worry that 1/2 inch hardware cloth won't keep weasels out, because other posters say they can squeeze through it. Should I go with 1/4th instead around the entire sides and top (plus skirt)? And what secondary wire should I use to keep out at least coyotes and dogs? I plan on having a baby monitor system in case of a bear, but I don't think electric fencing is an option. Would have to be a really long extension wire, and could get chewed. So what gauge and size wire for coyotes/dogs? And what size hardware cloth for weasels? I don't want to spend a ton of money and end up with losses anyhow. I plan on making movable runs that are a little less secure for when I am working in the garden or whatever to deter hawks, but I need at least one very secure run. Thx.

14 gauge should be good if your going to cover it in hardware cloth. Are you going to bury some of it as a dig bib?

Yeah. I will bury an apron. I'm now considering electric fencing. Trying to figure that whole thing out and what to buy. I want to do like 4 strands across around the coop and run. But I still think I need to put thicker wire around the hardware cloth. Definitely doing whole run and coop in hardware cloth. Coop will get thicker wire over the hardware cloth. As for the run, I'm thinking I better do thick wire over the hardware cloth as well, plus an electric fence. Overkill? So many predators, big and small. I just don't want to take any chances. Will set up game cam and probably some sort of motion detecting alarm or light or something. I watched videos of bears ripping apart a coop, weasels squeezing in, raccoons breaking in, etc. Has me super paranoid. I'm afraid a bobcat may jump over the electric fence and rip through the hardware cloth of run. I can't be standing over the run all day long, and what if I am out for the day? I can't leave them in coop all day, so the run has to be secure. I'm trying to be careful with budget, but I want to make sure it is secure.

I admire your determination to make a safe place. I'm the same way. Built the coop & run inside a horse paddock that is chainlink. The run is heavy duty chain link dog kennel panels 10' x 6' tall. (sorry, I don't know the gauge, but we saw the flimsy ones and passed). Chicken wire 2' up from ground and 1/2" hardware cloth 18" up. Livestock panels 4" x 2" welded wire, over the top, then chicken wire over that. On the outside of the horse paddock we offset strands of electric wire starting 5 inches off the ground so a critter wanting to dig under or climb up would get zapped. We got solar electric and it's been going now for 3 years, no problem. If you are in a dry climate remember to water the ground wire on occasion or you will lose zap power. The chickens free range all day and go into their Alcatraz home at dark and I shut the door on them. We have lost one chicken to neighbor dogs before we got our 7 acres fenced and lost one to unknown at dusk - probably an owl or hawk, could have been a bobcat, but the chicken was a loner, never stayed with the flock and it was before lockdown in the safe coop/run. I live in a very remote area surrounded by nat'l forest and the neighbors have gotten a mountain lion and a bear at their place on their critter cam, we have seen javalinas, hawks & owls in abundance. There will always be predators and chickens will always be prey. We can only do the best that we can do. Where I live I consider 2 losses in 2 years pretty lucky, but then again, I'm not going to make my chickens easy bait. Sounds like you are on the right track. I'll be happy to post some pics of the electric fence if you haven't used it before and are unsure about a plan.

Back
Top Bottom