Gearing up for Christmas hatch! Who wants to join and plan with me?

I candled my d'uccle pullet eggs and 5 of 5 were developing! YAY! And at least one of the blue eggs has got some veining. I'm so excited. I sure hope I have better luck with this hatch. I've got water bowls in the cabinet with my incubator to attempt to offset the dry winter air.

I set some last Sunday, 10 eggs, and candled today, 3 were duds but the rest have tons of veins, mass and airspace room! Yee! DH is excited too, he helped me build the incubator and we have been fiddling with it to get stable temps, it swung pretty hard there the first couple of days, I was worried my eggs weren't going to make it. But today, I even saw a heartbeat or movement! I added 15 more mixed eggs today because I was sure mine weren't doing anything! So it's going to be a hatchy Christmas (hopefully) after all!

Come on guys and join us over on the OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HATCH thread!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
I almost missed the pic of the beautiful eggs!
caf.gif

Oh, and thank you!

Mary

Well I haven't written since Nov 29th (pg 1) but I currently have some good new & bad...good news- I candled my 13 eggs and all but 1 are fertile and growing well. The bad news - I lost another one of my older girls, a blk giant this weekend. She was only 2 1/2 yrs old but we're having nasty cold weather so I not sure if that had any effect. I keep a well heated coop. I lost my white giant over a year ago with the same signs of labored breathing so I'm assuming it was something respiratory related.
hu.gif
I've heard chicken are very susceptible to pneumonia.
She was not alone though, she died in my arms.
hit.gif

I've enjoy looking through all the pgs though since my last entry and seeing all the new babies they do lift your spirits. Mine should be hatching mid part of next week though!
jumpy.gif

It's been so long since I've written on BYC, I don't recognize any names anymore but I'm one of the oldies. I work full time but off today so more or less just writing my thoughts.
old.gif

Hi Lori,

Sorry about the loss of your beloved hen. She was lucky to have you with her after 2+ years of love.
hugs.gif

Hopefully you'll find plenty more love from your incubator! I just wanted to let you know that we are trying to let this thread fade away because their is a new one called the OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS thread. You might want to post there so we can keep up with your progress.

Blessings,

Mary

I candled Saturday. I set BCMs and Buff Orp eggs on 11/30. The BCMs were too dark to see anything except the one ROTTEN egg (thank goodness I candled when I did). The buffs are starting to show good veining. This is the first fertility test for both roos! Happy Dance...
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom