Geese breeds (eggs, and egg laying)

lol.png
:rolleyes:DUH! I should have started my own post?

Chinese geese will lay the most eggs in a year, but they will also be smaller than most other breeds. If you need larger eggs, you could try the Toulouse. They don't lay as many eggs, but the eggs are going to be bigger.

If you don't care about purebreed geese, try a Chinese cross. A first generation Chinese x (other breed) cross is going to have hybrid vigor that will usually improve the number of eggs laid and the growth of the goslings. Chinese x Africans, Chinese x Embdens, and Chinese Toulouse would be the top three choices; but any cross would be fine.

Mutt geese - geese that came from mixed parents that came from mixed parents, etc, may still lay more larger eggs than a pure Toulouse depending on what is in its background. But with mutts you never know what you will get. You could get one that lays as many eggs as a Chinese that are huge, or you could get one that lays 10-15 small eggs in a year, goes broody, and won't change her mind until its too late.

I am still not 100% sure if I have 2x females or 1x male and 1x female goose. Can I leave the eggs in the nests, or must I collect them if I only have females? Won't she be sitting on them forever while waiting for the eggs to hatch?

Back
Top Bottom