Geese Flock Protectors?

Barredbeak

Hatching
Jan 16, 2024
Are geese really flock protectors? Many people have suggested getting them. We lost all but 2 of our flock in early October including our Barred rock roo. We took one of the survivors to the vet and it was determined that the predetor was a domesticated dog that probably got loose in the area. Wanting to free range again but worried about that dog coming back and finding the horror scene all over again. We have a pet flock, so it really turned our hearts upside down. When suggesting geese people state they will chase coyotes into the woods even after they're long gone. Having freedom taken away has really upset the survivors, we have hatched 7 offspring from our fallen feathers.

Guard goose is a myth, unfortunately. Make a nice, big secure run.
I know that's probably what I'll have to do. We've been planning to get a bigger more permanent run going in the spring. Just finished building a nice coop. I'm bummed that my girls aren't as nice or perky since being confined. I have plans in the summertime to "walk" them since it'll be daylight after I get home from work. It's a shame that someone's pet is more of a concern of ours than wild animals. Thank you for your response!

Back
Top Bottom