Geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Rondack, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Do any of you have geese? Is goose raising easy? Do they need a pond? Please post comments, advice, and ideas!

CayugaJana likes this.
  2. fil76

fil76 Chirping

Oct 14, 2017
    manchester england
    sorry to but in but will a large bucket to dunk there head be ok
    cheers fil

chonsey and Rondack like this.
  3. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I'm not sure they even need water at all..... Besides water to drink...

CayugaJana likes this.
  4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    I have had geese.Its not hard if you know what your doing.They don’t need a pond but will need atelast a kitty pool to clean themselves in from time to time and even drink out of it.

5. Linda Hicks

Linda Hicks In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2018
    I have a pair of pilgrim geese. People say that they don't need water but they absolutely love it. In the summer their pool is their mainstay. They sit in it all day. They are in a smaller tub, about 7 gallons, in the winter. Yes, even on very cold and snowy days they are always bathing and preening. They also have a 2 gallon drinking bucket that they dip their heads into in their cage. Their feathers are beautiful. We are making a larger pool for them this summer so that they can actually float and swim. It's a landscaping pool. The preening helps bring up the oils from their feather glands which insulates them from heat or cold. The only time I have problems is in the breeding season and the gander is aggressive. I have heard that after 2 years old that behavior will lesson but that theory is still out as these are just 2 years old. Otherwise very easy keepers.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    CayugaJana, chonsey and Rondack like this.
  6. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Do they need to be separate from the chickens?

CayugaJana and chonsey like this.
  7. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Where did you get yours?

chonsey likes this.
  8. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    I bought mine from a lady who had an overly populated flock,they were white Chinese

CayugaJana and Rondack like this.
  9. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    If you want them to be separated,you can,they seem to do relatively fine together.

CayugaJana, chonsey and Rondack like this.
  10. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Geese need water more than ducks, Or so i've read. It's easier for them to breed in and less hard on the Goose when the Gander tries to breed it. Now I don't have Geese myself at the moment but i've been doing plenty of research, i'm getting my first geese In may the 21st so not much longer. They don't need a pond but i'd suggest having a kiddie pool out for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: