Pics
I have a pair of pilgrim geese. People say that they don't need water but they absolutely love it. In the summer their pool is their mainstay. They sit in it all day. They are in a smaller tub, about 7 gallons, in the winter. Yes, even on very cold and snowy days they are always bathing and preening. They also have a 2 gallon drinking bucket that they dip their heads into in their cage. Their feathers are beautiful. We are making a larger pool for them this summer so that they can actually float and swim. It's a landscaping pool. The preening helps bring up the oils from their feather glands which insulates them from heat or cold. The only time I have problems is in the breeding season and the gander is aggressive. I have heard that after 2 years old that behavior will lesson but that theory is still out as these are just 2 years old. Otherwise very easy keepers.

Last edited:
I have a pair of pilgrim geese. People say that they don't need water but they absolutely love it. In the summer their pool is their mainstay. They sit in it all day. They are in a smaller tub, about 7 gallons, in the winter. Yes, even on very cold and snowy days they are always bathing and preening. They also have a 2 gallon drinking bucket that they dip their heads into in their cage. Their feathers are beautiful. We are making a larger pool for them this summer so that they can actually float and swim. It's a landscaping pool. The preening helps bring up the oils from their feather glands which insulates them from heat or cold. The only time I have problems is in the breeding season and the gander is aggressive. I have heard that after 2 years old that behavior will lesson but that theory is still out as these are just 2 years old. Otherwise very easy keepers.
Do they need to be separate from the chickens?

Geese need water more than ducks, Or so i've read. It's easier for them to breed in and less hard on the Goose when the Gander tries to breed it. Now I don't have Geese myself at the moment but i've been doing plenty of research, i'm getting my first geese In may the 21st so not much longer. They don't need a pond but i'd suggest having a kiddie pool out for them.

Back
Top Bottom