Geese

:welcome

Is your geese showing signs of worms? If not, I suggest holding back on worming them, as worming them can kill off the good parasites as well as the bad.

Tagging @Goosebaby.

:welcome

Is your geese showing signs of worms? If not, I suggest holding back on worming them, as worming them can kill off the good parasites as well as the bad.

Tagging @Goosebaby.

No sure he just has a little blood in stool but otherwise healthy it comes and goes over the last 3 months if I give him apple cider vinegar seems to go away until I stop using it and he shakes his head alot

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
I'd be concerned about something different, not worms. I'm not very knowledgeable on goose ailments... (For the nine years I had geese, I didn't have any major issues.) If this was a chicken, I'd question Coccidiosis, but I don't know if geese get that. Is your goose showing any signs of anything else other than this? Did your goose eat anything by accident recently? What is your goose's normal diet? How clean of an environment is it living in? (Dirty coop and run; or something I've had an issue with: buried trash from previous land owners.) Does your goose free range and have access to a natural water source? (Lake, pond, stream. Those places could contain trash carried from other places. ) Are any of your other geese having issues?

How is your goose behaving? Has he been acting depressed?, “not as energetic, standing around with beak tucked in to his wing more often?” Has he been eating less? Have you noticed if his legs or beak have gotten paler?

How long has he been getting blood in his droppings?

Have you noticed any other unusual colors in his droppings like black, orange, pink? Have you noticed any bubbly droppings or mucous in his droppings?

red blood in the droppings indicates bleeding low in the digestive tract, so that’s where the trouble is at, whatever it is. The other dropping in the picture looks pretty yellow and bubbly, I’m not sure if it’s his or not but if it is I’d say he definitely has a lower intestinal issue.

it could be worms or coccidia, more likely coccidia than worms but you can try treating both.
For coccidia you can try Corid (amprolium) which will clear it up. Toltrazuril will completely kill the coccidia and you only need to treat for 3 days.

For worms safeguard horse paste or goat wormer (Fenbendazol) works for most worms.

Giardia and clostridium are other potential causes of this.

Giarda and Clostridium can be treated with an antibiotic called Metronidazole, Clostridium is also treated with an antibiotic called Tylosin.

Apple cider vinegar isn’t as acidic as stomach acid so it’s doubtful it would be killing off any bad stomach bugs or bacteria, but one thing that could be going on is if you’re giving ACV with the mother the high probiotic load in it could be combating whatever bad bacteria is festering in his lower gi tract.
If that’s the case it’s certainly beneficial but it isn’t fixing the problem.

Safeguard dosage is 0.23 ml per pound for 5 days

metdonidazole dosage is 10 to 50 mg per kg once or twice daily for 5 to 10 days, depending on the severity of symptoms.

Tylosin powder dosage is 20 to 40 mg per kg twice daily.
Most sources I’ve found state 20 to 30 mg per kg but Tylosin is mostly used in it‘s liquid form as an injectable “tylan 200” and unless you have an extra person to assist you while injecting your bird twice a day it’s far more feasible to administer it orally via syringe. The avian digestive system works fairly fast so the higher dosages are more effective in my experience. In my state only the powdered form is available.

if it’s a clostridium infection Tylosin and metronidazole are most effective when used in combination with each other.

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=32450c6be&_ss=r
Directions on the bag are for mixing it into water but the taste is so horrible my geese never touch it, I have to make them take it orally from a syringe. It has to be measured out with a gram scale for the most accurate dosage and then mixed with water but if You get the dosage wrong and overdose it, it doesn’t cause severe side effects like it does in cats.

various places you can get metro

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/metronidasole-fish-capsules-200-mg?_pos=2&_sid=e0f9f5421&_ss=r

https://countrysidepet.com/search.php?search_query_adv=Metronidazole+

https://okiedogsupply.com/fish-zole-metronidazole-250mg-30ct/

How is your goose behaving? Has he been acting depressed?, “not as energetic, standing around with beak tucked in to his wing more often?” Has he been eating less? Have you noticed if his legs or beak have gotten paler?

How long has he been getting blood in his droppings?

Have you noticed any other unusual colors in his droppings like black, orange, pink? Have you noticed any bubbly droppings or mucous in his droppings?

red blood in the droppings indicates bleeding low in the digestive tract, so that’s where the trouble is at, whatever it is. The other dropping in the picture looks pretty yellow and bubbly, I’m not sure if it’s his or not but if it is I’d say he definitely has a lower intestinal issue.

it could be worms or coccidia, more likely coccidia than worms but you can try treating both.
For coccidia you can try Corid (amprolium) which will clear it up. Toltrazuril will completely kill the coccidia and you only need to treat for 3 days.

For worms safeguard horse paste or goat wormer (Fenbendazol) works for most worms.

Giardia and clostridium are other potential causes of this.

Giarda and Clostridium can be treated with an antibiotic called Metronidazole, Clostridium is also treated with an antibiotic called Tylosin.

Apple cider vinegar isn’t as acidic as stomach acid so it’s doubtful it would be killing off any bad stomach bugs or bacteria, but one thing that could be going on is if you’re giving ACV with the mother the high probiotic load in it could be combating whatever bad bacteria is festering in his lower gi tract.
If that’s the case it’s certainly beneficial but it isn’t fixing the problem.
It started about 3 months ago he’s never acted different and yes he free range during the day and the blood is not in every dropping and the head shaking started 3 weeks ago he is 5 months old and the color around his nose has always been there and their droppings have always been like that sorry this is my first time with geese

Attachments

• IMG_5953.jpeg
    IMG_5953.jpeg
    854.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'd be concerned about something different, not worms. I'm not very knowledgeable on goose ailments... (For the nine years I had geese, I didn't have any major issues.) If this was a chicken, I'd question Coccidiosis, but I don't know if geese get that. Is your goose showing any signs of anything else other than this? Did your goose eat anything by accident recently? What is your goose's normal diet? How clean of an environment is it living in? (Dirty coop and run; or something I've had an issue with: buried trash from previous land owners.) Does your goose free range and have access to a natural water source? (Lake, pond, stream. Those places could contain trash carried from other places. ) Are any of your other geese having issues?
Yes free range no stream they have a pool it’s not in every dropping and it’s been going on for 3 months he is only 5 months old and their droppings have always looked like that they don’t act any different and are eating and drinking but it could be possible he ate something I thought it went away because it stopped about a month ago but then 3 day ago it started again they are on flock raiser with a scoop of pure brewers yeast

Last edited:
Safeguard dosage is 0.23 ml per pound for 5 days

metdonidazole dosage is 10 to 50 mg per kg once or twice daily for 5 to 10 days, depending on the severity of symptoms.

Tylosin powder dosage is 20 to 40 mg per kg twice daily.
Most sources I’ve found state 20 to 30 mg per kg but Tylosin is mostly used in it‘s liquid form as an injectable “tylan 200” and unless you have an extra person to assist you while injecting your bird twice a day it’s far more feasible to administer it orally via syringe. The avian digestive system works fairly fast so the higher dosages are more effective in my experience. In my state only the powdered form is available.

if it’s a clostridium infection Tylosin and metronidazole are most effective when used in combination with each other.

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=32450c6be&_ss=r
Directions on the bag are for mixing it into water but the taste is so horrible my geese never touch it, I have to make them take it orally from a syringe. It has to be measured out with a gram scale for the most accurate dosage and then mixed with water but if You get the dosage wrong and overdose it, it doesn’t cause severe side effects like it does in cats.

various places you can get metro

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/metronidasole-fish-capsules-200-mg?_pos=2&_sid=e0f9f5421&_ss=r

https://countrysidepet.com/search.php?search_query_adv=Metronidazole+

https://okiedogsupply.com/fish-zole-metronidazole-250mg-30ct/
Can I use this on geese

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom