Geese

Yes free range no stream they have a pool it’s not in every dropping and it’s been going on for 3 months he is only 5 months old and their droppings have always looked like that they don’t act any different and are eating and drinking but it could be possible he ate something I thought it went away because it stopped about a month ago but then 3 day ago it started again they are on flock raiser with a scoop of pure brewers yeast
He’s head shaking too..thats a sure sign of either an upper respiratory or intestinal infection. Parasites or a bacterial infections cause the digestive system to slow down and can cause them to salivate or even regurgitate which makes them head shake and flick the excess fluid out.

You might try feeling for his lower intestinal to see if it’s swollen, with clostridium/ enteritis but also sometimes with giardia and coccidia the lower intestine can become inflamed, it will feel like a hard ball or even an egg between his pelvis and ribcage. If you reach just below his tail you’ll feel two hard bulbs base of his tail, those are the rear ends of his pelvic bones, reach brown further and you’ll feel his rib cage, his lower intestines and just between there and they should feel soft and gooey. If it feels hard its inflamed, if you hear loud gurgling or what sounds like moving sand or popping that means there’s a lot of gas, a result of an infection.

I would definitely try to get him on corid and and think about getting him on an antibiotic, metro and Tylosin would be best if it’s a clostridial or Giardia infection, another option is an antibiotic called SMZ TMP, it will kill off coccidia and a number of other bad bacteria, it’s fairly broad spectrum so it will also target a lot of good bacteria though so I would suggest giving a good probiotic or kefir also. SMZ TMP doesn’t treat clostridium though.

He’s head shaking too..thats a sure sign of either an upper respiratory or intestinal infection. Parasites or a bacterial infections cause the digestive system to slow down and can cause them to salivate or even regurgitate which makes them head shake and flick the excess fluid out.

You might try feeling for his lower intestinal to see if it’s swollen, with clostridium/ enteritis but also sometimes with giardia and coccidia the lower intestine can become inflamed, it will feel like a hard ball or even an egg between his pelvis and ribcage. If you reach just below his tail you’ll feel two hard bulbs base of his tail, those are the rear ends of his pelvic bones, reach brown further and you’ll feel his rib cage, his lower intestines and just between there and they should feel soft and gooey. If it feels hard its inflamed, if you hear loud gurgling or what sounds like moving sand or popping that means there’s a lot of gas, a result of an infection.

I would definitely try to get him on corid and and think about getting him on an antibiotic, metro and Tylosin would be best if it’s a clostridial or Giardia infection, another option is an antibiotic called SMZ TMP, it will kill off coccidia and a number of other bad bacteria, it’s fairly broad spectrum so it will also target a lot of good bacteria though so I would suggest giving a good probiotic or kefir also. SMZ TMP doesn’t treat clostridium though.
Ok thank you

Safeguard dosage is 0.23 ml per pound for 5 days

metdonidazole dosage is 10 to 50 mg per kg once or twice daily for 5 to 10 days, depending on the severity of symptoms.

Tylosin powder dosage is 20 to 40 mg per kg twice daily.
Most sources I’ve found state 20 to 30 mg per kg but Tylosin is mostly used in it‘s liquid form as an injectable “tylan 200” and unless you have an extra person to assist you while injecting your bird twice a day it’s far more feasible to administer it orally via syringe. The avian digestive system works fairly fast so the higher dosages are more effective in my experience. In my state only the powdered form is available.

if it’s a clostridium infection Tylosin and metronidazole are most effective when used in combination with each other.

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=32450c6be&_ss=r
Directions on the bag are for mixing it into water but the taste is so horrible my geese never touch it, I have to make them take it orally from a syringe. It has to be measured out with a gram scale for the most accurate dosage and then mixed with water but if You get the dosage wrong and overdose it, it doesn’t cause severe side effects like it does in cats.

various places you can get metro

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/metronidasole-fish-capsules-200-mg?_pos=2&_sid=e0f9f5421&_ss=r

https://countrysidepet.com/search.php?search_query_adv=Metronidazole+

https://okiedogsupply.com/fish-zole-metronidazole-250mg-30ct/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom