Gender/Age/Breed on duckling (video attached)

Kdlevesque

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2016
South Carolina
I’ve had chickens for many years and I recently adopted this duckling. A friend of mine had bought six ducklings and two of them died immediately. They put the remaining ducks into the pen with the adult ducks and all but this one were killed by the adult male. Anyway, this duckling was living at her home alone but was not doing well at all. My friend called and asked if I would take it. I noticed immediately that its legs were bowed and that it was very congested. It also had scarring on its face and neck from where it had been pecked by the adult ducks. Before adding anything to my flock, I always take them to it to the vet to have a complete check up. Needless to say, the vet believes that a niacin deficiency is what caused the problems with the legs and that it also had an upper respiratory infection. Now, five days later, The ducking has made so many improvements. I am feeding it a niacin-based duck food. Before, my friend was feeding at chick starter. It is getting around a lot better and the antibiotics are working for the upper respiratory infection. Hopefully, we will be able to move the duck to an outside pen in the next week or so. We are doing swim therapy several times a day in the bathtub and that seems to be strengthening the legs even more. My friend did not know the breed, age or the sex of this duckling. I am suspecting that it is a white Pekin but I might be wrong. I have also read about sexing based on the sounds they make and from what I’m hearing it sounds female and was just curious if anybody else had any thoughts. Thank you so much!

Here is a video:

Last edited:
You're right, it's a female pekin. I'm not sure about age. Also, a pat on the back for you for doing such a fantastic job rehabilitating her. That's above and beyond!
Thank you so much! It is a lot of work for sure but luckily I am a teacher so I am out for the summer. We have gotten very attached. I’ve had chickens for almost 6 years and this is my first duck. I’m hoping that we can integrate her into the existing flock once she is better. I cannot believe the improvements already and it’s only been five days!

She's a pretty girl! Good job getting her back on track for a healthy and happy life. Her story breaks my heart a bit. Do you have any ducks? With her being a girl, she should do fine with chickens but will likely be happier with another duck. I love my sweet Pekin and think they're such sweet creatures. One tip I'd like to offer, be sure to check the bottom of her feet often. Being a large breed, they're more susceptible to bumble foot and the quicker you notice and treat, the better they are. Many pekins have suffered a lot from leg and foot injuries. In fact my sweet girl is finally over a persistent bumblefoot infection but has lasting issues that will last for the rest of her life. Just a weekly check should be all that's needed. If she gets muddy feet, a weekly pedicure or soaking and rinsing away the debris so you're able to see the foot clearly and completely should be perfect! I wish you the best

She's a pretty girl! Good job getting her back on track for a healthy and happy life. Her story breaks my heart a bit. Do you have any ducks? With her being a girl, she should do fine with chickens but will likely be happier with another duck. I love my sweet Pekin and think they're such sweet creatures. One tip I'd like to offer, be sure to check the bottom of her feet often. Being a large breed, they're more susceptible to bumble foot and the quicker you notice and treat, the better they are. Many pekins have suffered a lot from leg and foot injuries. In fact my sweet girl is finally over a persistent bumblefoot infection but has lasting issues that will last for the rest of her life. Just a weekly check should be all that's needed. If she gets muddy feet, a weekly pedicure or soaking and rinsing away the debris so you're able to see the foot clearly and completely should be perfect! I wish you the best
She is actually my only duck and I’ve never had ducks before but I am in love with her and ducks are probably going to be my new adventure! I wouldn’t mind getting her a duck friend, for sure. ☺️ Thank you for your kind words. I will keep an eye on those feet, by the way! Thank you for that too!

Thank you so much! It is a lot of work for sure but luckily I am a teacher so I am out for the summer. We have gotten very attached. I’ve had chickens for almost 6 years and this is my first duck. I’m hoping that we can integrate her into the existing flock once she is better. I cannot believe the improvements already and it’s only been five days!
You're doing a fantastic job. Ducks are a lot of fun. She'd probably prefer to have another duck for a friend, but chicken friends are better than her being alone. They should get along fine if you introduce them slowly. But wait until your duckling is fully recovered.

I want to give you guys an update on our duck, Derby. We have finally moved her out into the big coop with our hens and luckily they have accepted her very easily. As a matter of fact, we have a mother hen that has six week old chicks that has really taken to Derby. She actually takes food and drops it in front of her and treats her like one of her own. It has just been a fabulous process and it’s very rewarding. Derby is doing so well and getting around wonderfully. She still has a slight limp but I think she will always have that.

That's wonderful news! Please share some pictures of her with her flock if you get the chance. I would love to see her with her flock and I'm sure many others would too. Thank you for the update. She's a lucky duck ❤️

Here she is with her flock 😊 The mama hen won’t let any of my adults near her babies and Derby. It’s adorable. She does get her pool time everyday.

Attachments

• AC8A0655-3873-4D48-BD97-FF2C31957A3C.jpeg
    AC8A0655-3873-4D48-BD97-FF2C31957A3C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • DCF9D9A4-7A22-4584-A049-068998FDB329.jpeg
    DCF9D9A4-7A22-4584-A049-068998FDB329.jpeg
    534.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 8B70FEF8-37E9-4F42-87C0-C865F7BA295F.jpeg
    8B70FEF8-37E9-4F42-87C0-C865F7BA295F.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 3EF8EDC9-87DC-44D9-9DCF-AF4DD67AB6B9.jpeg
    3EF8EDC9-87DC-44D9-9DCF-AF4DD67AB6B9.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 4
  • 1CEC8260-21B8-488A-8BDD-AFF42E886139.jpeg
    1CEC8260-21B8-488A-8BDD-AFF42E886139.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • F25B88AF-EFAF-4154-B736-7FBCDE1FF389.jpeg
    F25B88AF-EFAF-4154-B736-7FBCDE1FF389.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Here she is with her flock 😊 The mama hen won’t let any of my adults near her babies and Derby. It’s adorable. She does get her pool time everyday.
So Derby's foster mom is the Buff Orpington? I love these pictures so much! Thank you for sharing them with us. Derby looks happy. The first picture is kinda funny. I started hearing in my mind "One of these things is not like the others" 🤣 Such a precious little flock of happy adorable fluffs and a very proud mama hen 💜

Back
Top Bottom