Gender and breed - 8 weeks old

TimOShea

In the Brooder
5 Years
Hi everyone

I was wondering if someone could have a crack at the gender and breed of mine? These pics aren't perfect, I'll try to upload better pics tomorrow. They are 8 weeks old, I was told when they were chicks they may be white sussex or lohmans. It seems clear to me there's two different breeds, 4 white with brown flecks, and four brown.

I am taking a stab that the four white are roosters as they have fairly pronounced red combs?

The brown one at the back has coughed a couple of times like he is trying to crow, he also stands a little taller than the other brown ones.

Any help is appreciated, and again, sorry for the poor pics

Thanks heaps

Tim

Hi Tim - they are all red sex links. Your mostly brown birds are the pullets and the white birds with brown on the wings are cockerels.

Last edited:
Actually I just read about Red Sex Links, so the colour actually tells the gender? That makes it easy!
Yes it does, which is the whole point of sex links so you can tell the sex from birth. Black sex links are also this way - pullets will be black with a bit of gold in the hackle feathers whereas the roosters will be barred like a Barred Rock.

Lohmans is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), but they outlay either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization.

Back
Top Bottom