Gender help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dfdesigns, Sep 20, 2010.

1. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    First let me say that I am brand new to chickens, but am enjoying them very much. I had no idea how much fun having a few chickens roam my yard would be! With that said, please forgive my chicken ignorance...

I got these four chickens from a friend; she told me that two were Easter Eggers, two were Barred Rocks and all were girls. I have no eggs yet, nor has there been any crowing. The EEs are at least 16 weeks old, and the BRs are a week or two beyond that.

My questions: are the breeds correct? And are these all females? I'm starting to wonder a bit, but am admittedly clueless! Here's some pictures from today:

The BRs:
    [​IMG]

Another angle in the BRs:
    [​IMG]

And the EEs:
    [​IMG]

Thank you so much for any help you can provide! [​IMG]

Dana in San Diego

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The Easter Eggers are both pullets.

The BRs - both pullets.

Yes indeed they're correct. [​IMG]

3. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, all girls, and the BR look like they will lay before the EE's. Good luck, they look like great girls!

4. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I'm by no means good at guessing, but I'd say you have a perfect matched pair...
    BR - Left Roo - Right Hen
    EE - Left Roo - Right Hen

edited...see..I'm horrible at this...I was looking at the difference in comb/wattles and the EE in front looked like a roo because the the long legs and chest..I wasn't looking at feathers.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. Chickens in the Grove

Chickens in the Grove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm new to this and am trying to learn how to differentiate between sexes and breeds, so sorry ahead of time if I'm way off base! But they definitely look like hens! By 18+ weeks, a lot of hens start laying and there are huge differences between the males and females. I don't know if the EE are EE because there's no breed standard, but the BR's do look like BR. The on the left looks like it's about to start laying, too! [​IMG]

Congrats! And [​IMG]

6. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    THANK YOU ALL! I have grown very fond of all my "girls"... Can't wait for them to start laying for us!

Dana

7. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Yep all girls! Congrats

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    All girls! The BR on the left in the first picture will be your first layer. The EE's are quite a ways off from laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by