Gender ID please....on my 18 wk old Bl Australorp

CarolAnn

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
Kansas
My hubby said he saw this one trying to crow this morning. It's my oldest pullet (I hope) my blk Australorp at 18 wks. Two days ago I heard a very loud squawking sound (just one loud peal) from the direction on the chicken house and I hurried out hoping it was one of the girls popping out her first egg. Nada. Later I heard it again, again nothing. I went out and watched her for a while this evening before I let them out to run, and took some pics to submit here. I saw her squat low to but not on the ground and get right up, walk a couple steps and do it again. Here I am hoping she's getting real close to laying and hubby still thinks she's a roo. This is one of the 4 of my original flock of 22 that survived our neighbor's dog attack. Had a couple of big bite wounds and I nursed her back. I'm so pleased that she came thur so beautifully! Even if she ends up being a roo. But please tell she's not!

Here are two pics. What do you think?

Side shot:

66207_oldest_in_the_flock_18_wks.jpg

Tushy shot:

66207_tushy_view_oldest_of_flock_18_wks.jpg

Last edited:
Some Aussie pullets/hens will also have large wattles and combs, but those feathers across the back and tail are a dead giveaway.

Roo all the way.

Matt

Shucks, well then I suppose Pearl is no longer an appropriate name. At 18 wks I would have thought a roo would have been acting, well, a little roo-ish. I hope he doesn't go all macho one day and pound the daylights out of my little dude the cochin roo. So now this question. With more than one roo will this one just choose his harem from the girls not yet taken by the Little Dude? Will they fight over them? Or just both wear them out? Oh dear! I was looking at this as an adventure and it's seems to be turning into one. Best thing I've done for myself in decades!

Thanks for the feedback! I'll go tell hubby he's probably right. The smarty pants..........................

MY much older BA girls have very little combs and wattles. Your chicken is a guy. Sory. I have 11 EE chicks and I think 4 are boys and of course my fav is one of the ROOS.

Back
Top Bottom