Gender of 2 Barnies--Barnies breeders have a guess?

ShysCreations

Songster
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
Colorado (central front range)
These 2 hatched on May 27 this year but have me stumped.
#1 was much darker than #2 as a chick. #1 has a black breast feathering in, is less aggressive, smaller comb, hardly any wattles
17059_dsc04835.jpg
17059_dsc04836.jpg
17059_dsc04837.jpg

Lighter than #1 as a chick, more comb/wattles, more aggressive, lacing in the breast feathers
17059_dsc04827.jpg
17059_dsc04828.jpg

Thanks for you help BYCers!

I'd say both are male going by the size and colour of the combs at such a young age though I am not familiar with what breed they are.

Hi there
Saw your posting on 'darkegglayers'
Have hatched some Barnies myself this year and think both are male and #2 is not a purebred. The lacing isn't right and to much light colore in the face. #1 looks Beautifull!
All of my Barnies have had no signs of aggresive behavior even as adults. Very docile.
Also grow up VERY slow, wish I had pic's of my two 'litter mates' that I thought for the longest time where both girls, same coloring etc.
Took a long time before they lost their 'down' feathers.Till boyfriend got the red comb!
My Welsummers and BCM in the same hatch where way easier and quicker to tell if it was female or not.
Good luck!!

My guess would be 2 little roos. Usually (in our experience) the pullets have slight lacing on the breast as they put on their 1st feathers, but your #2 has a lot of head gear for a girl
big_smile.png
. Another clue has been that the boys will have some irridescent "beetle" feathers on their backs. Dark with purple and green in them.
As chicks our have never been super friendly/curious, but never little bite-ers like the cornish. (The corneys latch on when you put your hand down to feed them. I guess they've never heard "never bite the hand....
roll.png
) The barnies friendlier personalities have come with age and the grown roos are fantastic, especially with children.
Hopefully these are not the only two you have? They are a wonderful breed to work with. We have been hatching lots of chicks this year from different breeders. We'd be happy to help you with some eggs this fall
smile.png
Kelli

Thank you ALL! Well, am pretty comfortable #2 is a roo (though differing opinions on his breed purity). He's getting a rich red/brown in the back feathers & above wings. He's light in the face with chick down still clinging. He was neck flaring alot with my bantam cochin cockerels and he pecks & holds ON!
#1 does have the beetle green iridescence but no more growth on the comb. Will hold this one longer to see what its gender turns out. Stay tuned for the results! (Maybe you all nailed it on the head & should buy a lotto ticket!)

Well #1 is developing more green sheen to feathers, even a dark purplish color on the back. Hmmm.....hmmm....hmmmm...usually such color would tell me another cockerel but its not doing any neck flaring. Will get a new pic for perusal...

Hi Sack!

They are both roos!!!
#2 does not appear to be pure Barnie. I have a Barnie roo that hatched on April 7th this spring and until this last week he didn't have a comb, wattles or any tailfeathers, now he has a tail all of a sudden and comb and wattles. 3 mos it took him to show his manly features, though he has always bigger and more boyish than any of the others. I have 3 different lines of Barnies and they all have matured at different rates. Males should have black chests and no lacing in them upon feathering out and maturity. I have one little guy I am growing out right now, Ugh is his name, he is the sweetest little docile guy I have in the grow out pen. He is never in a hurry to do anything...ever. I just love him and was suppose to be growing him out for my friend but he has grown on me sooooo much I finally had to break the news to her that he has to stay here. I have to say that I once thought that my Marans were the sweetest birds I have ever had but the Barnies are quickly giving the Marans 1st place a challenge.
smile.png

I have hatched a whole bunch of Barnies this year, and included in the bunch were seven barnie x chicks. Five came out cream and brown splash and two red/black mottles. The two mottled look identical to your second one. So he is certainly NOT a pure Barnie. I will post pics later of mine to show the difference. I got caught out by a breeder, of the 12 he sold me 8 hatched and only 1 was pure.

Back
Top Bottom