Gender of Pekin Ducks

Bn2003

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2018
548BF9A8-8E24-4144-8FAB-C0DB6DEE1932.jpeg
B916E105-DA93-4FE5-8098-8D13EF416556.jpeg
4DA3A5B9-A063-4F86-ABDC-9CEC0E4B3452.jpeg
We bought 4 ducks (born around 3/22) from a straight run. We now think we have 4 males but aren’t 100% sure so wanted to see what you guys thought. 2 have very definite drake feathers, 1 I can’t tell and the 4th is tiny, no drake feather but has a single black feather on the back which I’ve read means male as well. None of them quack. All have a raspy voice.

We need to figure it out for sure, as we do not wish to keep males at this time, before we order sexed females from Metzer.

Thanks!

Last edited:
In my opinion they all look like drakes. And if they all have raspy voices then they are most likely all drakes. Although ducks tend to have a raspy voice at a young age, it sounds different to a drakes.

Ducks tend to be a bit bigger then drakes. But wait to hear from others first.

In my opinion they all look like drakes. And if they all have raspy voices then they are most likely all drakes. Although ducks tend to have a raspy voice at a young age, it sounds different to a drakes.
Thank you! That’s what I’m thinking as well but want to make sure. We were dumb and bought straight runs at tractor supply and believed them that they have high female rates lol. We’ve since learned. But, since we started with them to get eggs for my daughter who is allergic to chicken eggs, we really need to get females.

View attachment 1462908 View attachment 1462909 View attachment 1462911 We bought 4 ducks (born around 3/22) from a straight run. We now think we have 4 males but aren’t 100% sure so wanted to see what you guys thought. 2 have very definite drake feathers, 1 I can’t tell and the 4th is tiny, no drake feather but has a single black feather on the back which I’ve read means male as well. None of them quack. All have a raspy voice.

We need to figure it out for sure, as we do not wish to keep males at this time, before we order sexed females from Metzer.

Thanks!
Big fluffy squishy and cute.

Back
Top Bottom