gender please!

adamsclan301

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Southern California
are those roster feathers I see? Such a novice! jUst received this bird from a neighbor. He believes it to be non- crowing non- laying. But I cannot confirm either of those. approx breed would be nice too if you know. :) oh abd it's like a third bigger than any of my other standard size hens.

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm def. not any kind of expert, but it looks a bit like a lemon cukoo orphington hen to me. Here's a link with a pic.
http://www.rarebreedauctions.com/auction_details.php?auction_id=106066
Only thing is, those are pretty rare, but it wouldn't be strange for an orgphington to take a while to lay, and they are big hens. Do you know how old? I don't see definite rooster feathers, but once again, I'm not an expert. Very pretty bird!

Last edited:
If he is sure on the age, I would lean strongly to hen. A mature rooster should have more pronounced hackle feathers I would think. If you have the patience, I would wait for an egg. The larger breeds can take a long time to mature and start laying, I've heard of some going a year or longer. Does the bird vocalize at all? If so, does it sound like a hen cluck?

Back
Top Bottom