Gender Question

#1 you can tell by the comb and its posture.
#2 would help to know the age but your son is most likely going to be disappointed if you don't intend to keep a rooster.
The joke at my house is to not let my son pick the birds because his favorite chicks have always, without fail, for 6 years now been cockerels. That is how we end up keeping way more roosters than we really need.

They're around 9 weeks old now. Our city ordinance has a rule of only allowing 6 chickens total, including a rooster. So we planned to only keep one rooster, if any. I had a talk with my son yesterday and he's voted #1 out if both are roosters. Which of course is what we will do so he can keep his favorite, but I think the other has such nice coloring. Oh well, it's our first go 'round. Next time maybe we will try ordering from someone that guarantees the gender we want, lol

Well, I'm still going to guess boy on #2 but I will keep my fingers crossed for you. My Wyandotte's comb pinked up a lot sooner than I expected, but she is definitely a she. Your chicks comb is still small and I don't really see any wattles....
#1 is a gold sebright. Our sebright females were much older before they really even looked like they had combs. The cool thing about Sebrights is the males and females are marked the same. Maybe you can find someone near you who has some for sale if you really like that color. It is called gold laced or just golden in some breeds like Sebrights and Polish.

Here are adult male and female Sebrights for reference in case you decide to go looking. :)

Oh wow! Lol. This one has been the flighty one of all the hicks since the get-go. We had them free ranging a bit today and he was off strutting his stuff. He'd just randomly take off running. Crazy birds, haha

Lol chickens are so addictive! Our Sebright pen is inside our main coop. They love to dart out when we are feeding...the big birds just look at them like "who do you think you are?!"

Yes! That's what ours do. We have 2 brahmas & 2 RIR besides these two and they all look at them like "you have lost your mind!" Lol

And I'm finding quickly how addictive chickens are. I wish we could have more in the city. I find myself reading forums for fun, haha

Back
Top Bottom