Gender reveal party.....

sarahdell

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2015
Palmyra, Tennessee
Hello! So I know people ask this question a million times, but I can never find a definite answer to help me out! So maybe someone here can help me! I have 4 ducks, 2 khaki campbell's (18 weeks) an 2 white pekins (13.5 weeks). My issue is:
My 18 week khaki campbell's both show signs of boys an girls! (if that's possible? One has orange feet, solid brown, an has a raspy voice.... I assume a boy? The other is solid brown more of a quack, an darker feet.... I assume a girl. But neither are showing signs of any green plumage. I've noticed one will "squat" an the other will "mount" but two females will also do this.... They CONSTANTLY talk! Please help!!

Hello! So I know people ask this question a million times, but I can never find a definite answer to help me out! So maybe someone here can help me! I have 4 ducks, 2 khaki campbell's (18 weeks) an 2 white pekins (13.5 weeks). My issue is:
My 18 week khaki campbell's both show signs of boys an girls! (if that's possible? One has orange feet, solid brown, an has a raspy voice.... I assume a boy? The other is solid brown more of a quack, an darker feet.... I assume a girl. But neither are showing signs of any green plumage. I've noticed one will "squat" an the other will "mount" but two females will also do this.... They CONSTANTLY talk! Please help!!

It sounds to me like it's a male and female and the male hasn't yet gotten his nuptial plumage. That should start happening soon.

Thank you so much! At what age does that occur? I've read where it should of happened by now, along with the curling of the tail feathers. First time with chickens an ducks, the chickens I can figure it out early on but not with the ducks!

Thank you so much! At what age does that occur? I've read where it should of happened by now, along with the curling of the tail feathers. First time with chickens an ducks, the chickens I can figure it out early on but not with the ducks!

It can vary with the duck and drake, and drakes don't always have the sex feathers. Mine last year started to get nuptial feathers about this time last year, and he would have been about the same age as yours. Check him in bright sunlight to see if you're seeing any tinges of green. I can't remember when mine got his sex feathers, but I've seen that vary in my own ducks from 2 months to 5 months. I have one that doesn't have any sex feathers, though he did up until early this year. I think it will probably come back eventually.

I have not noticed any color change or hint of color change. I even rubbed both of there heads/necks to see if anything was underneath.... An nope nothing!
1f622.png

I have not noticed any color change or hint of color change. I even rubbed both of there heads/necks to see if anything was underneath.... An nope nothing!
1f622.png

Sarah, others here might have more to tell you, but I'm afraid I don't other than to just wait. A lot of people who don't vent sex spend a lot of time waiting and wondering. What you described sounds to me like a male/female, but there's no way I can be even 70% sure about that based on a description. I think you're just being a nervous new mom, and there's nothing wrong with that. You're going to wake up tomorrow to find it's time for the prom and wonder where your babies went.

I just figured the green would be what would definitely tell me, then I learn that doesn't always happen! So then I thought the feet would tell me, but the feet are an orange brown not bright orange, so yet again in not sure then the quacking but I'm not that experienced so I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is what I'm hearing..... I dont mind having a boy an girl, I'm just worried about having too many boys...

I just figured the green would be what would definitely tell me, then I learn that doesn't always happen! So then I thought the feet would tell me, but the feet are an orange brown not bright orange, so yet again in not sure then the quacking but I'm not that experienced so I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is what I'm hearing..... I dont mind having a boy an girl, I'm just worried about having too many boys...

I think you're in one of those "time will tell" situations. When you read "bright" orange in a breed description, you have to take that with a small grain of salt. How bright the oranges on a duck's feet/legs/bill are depends on several factors, even as simple as what they eat. One of my solid white Calls was ill earlier this year and wasn't eating well because of it. Her normally very bright bill turned a pale, sickly yellow, and even her feet and legs faded to pale orange.

Why don't you post some pics of both of them in good sunlight and see what the people here think? People who are used to looking at a certain breed of duck all the time can pick up on things you don't get just from reading a description.

I have tried to post pictures, but they dont upload. I dont have a computer cause we are so far out in the woods that it costs about $350 a month for service, we cant even get a home phone line lol. I took pictures to post but as stated above they will not upload
1f610.png

Back
Top Bottom