Gender??? Second Guessing 2 of my chicks?? (Pic Heavy) **UPDATE**

Reurra

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
I understand if they might be too young yet. Im starting to wonder though if I have 4 roos and one hen.

Dragon and Feathers grew the fastest, thought Nibbles grew the same rate physically his feathers seemed to be stalled. When they came in, it took 2 days and he didnt preen them out, he looked like a porcupine.
roll.png

Nugget is the youngest, he is about a week behind the others but I really do think he is a roo, very bold and adventurous and dominant, and I suspect that Nibbles may be one too. Im starting to wonder about Feathers though. Dragon is always first to the brooder door and sometimes will run right up while the other tend to stay aloof. Although, Dragon is very docile and sometimes likes to be held.

Any help would be great!! Thanks!!

The names of each bird and description will be on the top of each photo.

This is Feathers, the largest chick. Thats Dragon in the back ground.

This is Feathers again.

This is Dragon, the second largest. Both Feathers and Dragon have grown thier tails out. Thats Nugget and Nibbles in the cage with Stumpy in the far corner.

This is Nibbles, his feathers grew out later than the larger two though he is practically the same age. Thats nugget in the back with Stumpy again in his favorite corner.

This is Dragon, the most tame bird, again the second largest. Thats Nibbles tail in the cage.

This is Dragon on the right, facing the camera, with Feathers on the left with her back to me.

This is Feathers and Dragons back.

This is Nugget, he is the youngest but the most fiesty. hes about a week younger than the other birds, but he acts the biggest. I think he is a roo. Thats Nibbles bum.

Thats Nugget in the back ground with Nibbles beside him. Dragon is inside and Stumpy in the corner.

Here is the top of Nibbles head.

Theres Nugget on the left in the sun, Dragon beside him, Nibbles tail and Stumpy on the right.

Dragon on the left and Feathers on the right. Feathers has the most white of the two. Nugget is at the bottom of the picture. They tried to yank the camera from me!!

Last edited:
Here are pictures of Dragons back (first) and Feathers back (second) Dragon has a greenish sheen and Feathers does not. Does Dragon have saddle feathers?

Anyone? I need to be able to make plans for these birds. I cant integrate 1 hen into the coop, she might get hurt
sad.png
I cant keep 4 roos either, though I love all my birds very much!!
love.gif

Ive heard you can tell by looking at the feet too, but I cant see any size difference in any of their feet
hmm.png
Except for Nugget who is younger.

Last edited:
Oh THANK you for the replies!!
bow.gif

I have been chewing my nails over this since I started looking over the birds extra close today.

They are 5 weeks old. Nugget is closer to 4 weeks. Stumpy is the same age as Dragon and Feathers, but he has some issues so I dont think he will give us a true gender until he is bigger.

Dragon has a very tiny black comb, but all the others have yellow/black tipped combs that seem bigger. Thats one of the reasons I suspected I have 4 roos and one hen. But Dragons feathering on the back looks long and thin and I read that those could be saddle feathers.
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom